Tuesday, March 07, 2023

Unsatisfied.

It's rare that I run into a truly unsatisfying experience with a lens. There are certain known lemons in the lens world that I stay way from, but generally if you are using Nikon or Canon glass other than the jankiest older kit lenses, things will be dandy as long as you're mindful of the camera on which you mount them.

It's when resolutions go up, especially on larger sensors, that the weaknesses of cheaper lenses can become apparent. I've mentioned before how lenses that turn out tack sharp images on the 12MP Nikon D700 get underwhelming on the 36MP D800.

Yesterday I had a chance to see the results from an old Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens on a Canon EOS-1D Mark IV.

Not a lens for pixel peeping, or at least my copy isn't. Works okay on the older 10MP 1D Mark III, though.

If it offered a huge size or weight benefit over the EF 24-105mm f/4L IS, I might be more charitable to it, but its only advantage is price. The 28-135 goes for $150-$175 in used-but-nice shape on BezosMart, while the vastly superior 24-105/4L can be found used for as low as five bills.

.