Sunday, January 15, 2006

Boomsticks: Note to self...

An allen wrench is not a punch, and a 20-oz. Estwing is not a nylon hammer...

Kitchen table assembly of an AR lower with dick-all for tools, not to mention no kitchen table (nor even a kitchen, for that matter) is harder than it looks. A patient gun nut would wait 'til tomorrow morning, where a fully-equipped shop awaits...

*sigh*



Postscript: So, I give it up, pack a couple of my tools away, get distracted by the computer, and...

...when I look back down at the floor, one of my cats has surreptitiously made off with the screw-on cap to the storage compartment in the handle of my multi-bit screwdriver.

So now I'm applying techniques I learned from reading the memoirs of survivors of North Korean prison camps, but the furry little beasties remain stoically uncooperative:

"Huh? Cap? What cap? Did you see a cap?"

"Little black thing, about yea big, and threaded? Kinda tasty, and rolled around nicely when batted? Nope. Never saw it."

Oy vey. I'd use a blowtorch to try and extract the information, but the stubborn critters still wouldn't tell me anything, and burned cat hair smells awful. Plus, the Washington Post would say that W made me do it...

2 comments:

LOHAN said...

You mean to tell me an allen wrench can't be used as a punch? I started building my lower last night. I got the magazine catch installed and decided I better get some good tools rather than make do with improvised ones. I ordered some good roll pin punches, a stock wrench and a pivot pin detent depressor from Brownells this morning.

If you go by the vault, tell my upper I said hello and I might take him home this weekend. I'm afraid I may enjoy building this gun too much!

Anonymous said...

Anything weighing less than a pound or so, and not nailed to the floor, is a cat toy.
Anything weighing more is cat furniture.