Saturday, July 22, 2006

The old bikini picture inside joke...

When I referenced "the bikini picture" in a previous post, I didn't stop to realize that not everyone who reads this blog also reads the gun boards (ie. The Firing Line, The High Road, Glock Talk,) and even then, not everyone was around on those boards long enough to remember it. So here's the story:

A long time ago, I was younger. As younger people often are, I was also thinner, largely wrinkle-free, and moderately toned. I dabbled a little bit at modelling, and at one point we were going to do a photo shoot to make a poster for the shop I worked at at the time. It was going to feature me holding an AR-15 carbine and wearing an American flag, a smile, and not much else. ("Y'know" mused the photographer, "I've done plenty of 'cheesecake & guns' shoots before, but this is the first time the model brought her own rifle.") Anyhow, a day was spent on the lake on my boss's cabin cruiser burning up film.

Fast forward a couple years: I'm recuperating from a motorcycle wreck, wheelchair-bound, and fairly well opiated. A thread comes up at Glock Talk entitled "Post a picture of yourself!" or somesuch. Since the only picture I had of me that was on my hard drive at the time was a scan of a 4x6 outtake from that shoot, I posted it. It seemed perfectly reasonable to me in my pill-sotted condition.

Don't do drugs and post, kids.

As the pain pill wore off, I came to my senses and deleted the photo from the board, but the damage was done. For several months folks would post inquiries about the picture. I would deny having it available. A third party would pipe up with "That's okay, I saved a copy!" In time, this became a running gag. And that's the rest of the story.

Now, having come clean, I figure that if I'm going to crassly exploit anybody for the sake of a couple hits, it may as well be me. Preferably a younger and faintly scrawny-looking me who can't fight back and who I could probably beat up if she did. Behold:

30 comments:

Cowboy Blob said...

But...where's the AR?

:)

Porta's Cat said...

you look like you should be in a Highlander movie.*

You can have an AR in the movie, I suppose.

*compliment

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm. I smell an attempt to make SiteMeter jump through the roof, with a little judicious linking.

Whom did you bet -- and how much?

Anonymous said...

Nice pic!

a faith bigger than fear said...

Great Pic Tam! You've started something here in the blog world, I hope you know... Check out Porta's challenge linking back to you.

Thanks! LOL...

Although I have to say, the picture looks like it should be on the cover of Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Edition!!

Us poor women out here won't compare or meet the challenge and standards, not even close!! :)

:)

Anonymous said...

Would it be wrong of me to say "But where's the gun?" :)

(Reminded of urban legend about a personal ad: Girlfriend wanted, must own boat. Send picture of boat.)

theirritablearchitect said...

Covergirl/SI material.

ColtCCO said...

You're probably gonna set a record for weekend blog traffic, Tam. ;)

xzlel!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, yeah, yeah. AR-15 my #@!$%.

Tam, you could do this again, but, please, use a real rifle - something at least in .30 cal.

Anonymous said...

Those ARE the droids we were looking for.

Ben said...

Tamara,
Thanks.

Ben said...

Let's not forget, or underestimate, the famous Revolver/Eyes/North Face photograph.

It should be said that I view these as I view pics of my own sister, ya'll.

mmm, yeah.

Anonymous said...

I'm gonna go with a hearty....
WOOHOO!!!

Brass

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Let me say, THANKS for all us old guys!

Did you go to the gun show today?

Anything worth seeing?

Adam said...

"Those ARE the droids we were looking for."

^^ Bwahahahaha.

Tam,

You should send that to Tapco and tell them you're their next AR model. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice picture lady. I looked at our profile and noted the books and movies you consider "favorite." We obviously think a lot alike, 'cause I've got most of them on my shelves too.
Now, stop thinking like that! I've got three kids older than you! Besides, my wife is terribly narrow-minded.

Anonymous said...

All I can say is dayummm....

phlegmfatale said...

You know (and this is not a statement on cowboy blob) I thought you looked lovely even in a t-shirt and cap standing next to him. All I know is anyone with a mind like yours is a gorgeous soul. The armed-and-dangerous thing is just gravy.

Anonymous said...

MMMMMM - gravy

Mel

Anonymous said...

you look a bit like Rachel Hunter in that photo. :)

Anonymous said...

Well for those that say Tamara does not read her PMs and Emails ...
Wrong!

Granted getting a reply is a bit tricky.

Thank you ma'am - matter of principal , bikini pic was just a tool.

"No tool is any better than user of said tool" as they say.


Steve

Anonymous said...

Tamara looks even cuter in her new user profile pic.

Anonymous said...

And thousands of buttons on the right side of thousands of mice belonging to sweaty gun geeks the world over are being clicked and pointed to "Save Image As."

Hard drives are ticking, and 1's and 0's being written.

Guaranteed.

BobG said...

I liked your comment at the very bottom of the main page. LOL

Rorschach said...

All I can say Tamara is: Where were you when I was still single?

Anonymous said...

LORDY MERCY! Purtier than a specled pup!

Anonymous said...

I think i like the pic in the profile better. At least I can see some of the rifle's "action" there..... ;-)

Josh said...

Wow ... hot! You look similar to Rachael Hunter in that photo actually. Yes, yes. Nordic goodness.

Anonymous said...

Melissa says you're my perfect woman.

I told her you're not my type. . . you're my hero! I don't want to marry you, I want to be you.

But I'd settle for a Bimmer, a literbike, a lake in Tennessee and too many guns to count.

Jennifer said...

Tam,
You are the rare creature that although you exist in a quite lovely package, it's your soul that's the real beauty.
That is some impressive hotness there. Ya know, if you go for that cheesecake exploitation thing ;)