Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Same Planet, Different Worlds.

So there's ongoing drama in Unc's comment section over who actually invented the intertubes, Al G. or Johnny McC..

SebastianPGP actually says:
It’s also not the same because McCain has a much better relationship with the media and the gaffe in question won’t have the same legs.
I had to respond:
The Media likes McCain better than Al?

Huh. On which planet is that?

Srsly, dude, Oscar? Nobel? Getting his sausage snorkeled at no charge by NYT reporters? (Okay, I’m just inferring that last from available evidence…)

But yes, both statements sound boneheaded on their surface; McCain’s staffer’s won’t get traction because A) He’s just a staffer, and B) Al said it first and funnier.

I mean, seriously. I have no doubt that Sebastian truly and honestly believes in his heart that the media is nicer to Col. Tighe than to The Algore, but I've never seen a TeeVee reporter have to sit up and wipe their mouth before commencing an interview with McCain...

11 comments:

Joseph said...

There's no "e" in Tigh.

Glad I'm not the only person who sees the correlation between the BSG character and McCain. I love them both BTW.

Crucis said...

Don't hold back, Tam. Tell us what you really think. :-)

NotClauswitz said...

Seb-PGP is a True Kool-Aid Believer and in the tank for Democrats - and it's not an M1 Abrams. Some other "garden variety" I expect...

theirritablearchitect said...

Wow.

The funny bits there just made my eyeballs pop out.

Glad I wasn't consuming any sort of beverage whilst reading that.

Somerled said...

Members of the news media love John McCain during Republican primaries. This time he actually got past the primary.

Most journalists are left of center in their political views. When I was completing my master's in journalism, some of the professors talked how applicants to the school frequently shared their dream of "changing the world" for the better. Various studies have shown this tendency.

Here's a link to one: http://www.journalism.org/node/2304

theirritablearchitect said...

"Most journalists are left of center in their political views."

Um, how far from center are we talking about, here?

Tam said...

Far enough left that they think McCain is a conservative.

NotClauswitz said...

From my time as a photographer spent hanging with UC Santa Cruz Journo students at the Press Shack, so far left that even the beloved and anointed Che Guava was a hidebound conservative. Of course they were completely stoned ALL the time - want some mushrooms? Mescaline? Anybody got some blotter?

Anonymous said...

I know someone intimately involved with moving The Candidate around the planet every day.

A month ago, this person e-mailed me, very amused over how many of the press corps traveling with them proudly bore Obama stickers on their personal gear.

Anonymous said...

I would say you're a bitter clinger, based on this post, but I haven't tasted you to know you're bitter, salty, or sweet, and that just brings up another whole tsunami of bad oral sex references, So I'm just going to shut the fuck up.

Anonymous said...

"...sit up and wipe their mouth..."
Glad I had swallowed the coke before I saw THAT one. A new snark has entered the arena of Tam.
emdfl