Friday, January 29, 2010

Guilty pleasures...

After several years of living in the hip & happenin' Virginia-Highlands neighborhood of Atlanta, my roommate got sick of the teeny one bedroom (I had my very own couch) and more or less unilaterally decided that we'd get a newer place a little farther out, so in early '00 we acquired a third roomie and a grand new 3BR apartment off Clairmont road.

By this time, I was back to working part time at the gun store and full time at Lawrenceville airport and between two jobs and a 100-mile round trip daily commute, I wasn't home much anyway.

I'd get home in the wee hours with the apartment to myself, nuke dinner, crack a pint of Bass Ale, and retire to my room to watch syndicated reruns of Law & Order over my supper before bed. Since I'd never seen it on network TeeWee, it was all new to me. I haven't really watched it since, and never watched any of the spinoffs.

Today I stopped at the local Video Game & DVD emporium on the way home from the grocery store, and they had seasons two through five for cheap. I picked them up with some leftover birthday cash, and that's my sad bit of nostalgia for the day...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pffft, how realistic is that series anyway?

E.g., you never hear the defense attorney repeatedly tell the defendant when his court date is.

Shootin' Buddy

Tam said...

I watched the first two episodes of season 2 over lunch. Not one defendant asked about their court date. This makes me suspicious.

Anonymous said...

My ex wife wanted a Law and Order CD for Xmas. I got her a copy of the old Ronald Reagan movie by that name.

Yes, I am petty!

RC said...

I used to be a fan of the series, right up until Jack McCoy went off on a hysterical anti-gun rant right in the middle of a jury trial. At that point, various parts of the show's anti-rights stances became very difficult to ignore.

(The problem isn't so much that they show the police and prosecuters treating the 4th Amendment like it was a suggestion - it could be argued that this is one of the more realistic parts of the show - it's that they show it approvingly).

Justthisguy said...

OMG! Did you ever drink at George's Delicatessen (I think it was)? We used to go there and drink beer after services at Church of Our Saviour. (Anglo-Catholic, and a bit too Catholic for me.}

Did you know Horace, who worked there?

Oh, and the bookstore on the S.W. corner of V. and H. Good times in the 70s and 80s.

Tam said...

I used to stop in that little book store every payday on the way to work, and sometimes afoot when walking to Taco Mac's from our apt. on Saint Charles...

Tam said...

...one of my favorite Va-Hi memories was wandering the streets with my roommates the day after Hurricane Opal blew through in '95. The power was out for a couple days, so there wasn't much to do but go for long walks...

Matt G said...

I haven't watched a lot of Law & Order, for whatever reason, figuring that I could watch them later. For the most part, I've enjoyed that the case doesn't end when the bad guy is caught, and they don't fiat the courtroom convictions.

It doesn't show the uniforms sitting, sitting, sitting outside a courtroom to testify, before being told to go home, but that probably wouldn't make very good TV.

Timmeehh said...

RC nailed it.

I can't stand to watch L&O or CSI because of their anti-gun propaganda.

Even NCIS is guilty of it from time to time.

I remember watching Frasier a long time ago, and the old man said something about only cops should have guns.

I nearly threw a shoe through the TV!

Justthisguy said...

So, Tam, ain't those Zesto's burgers yummy? Damn, that's when I rode two-stroke street bikes around there!

WV: flane. A sweet dessert which somebody has set fire to.

Tam said...

Yup. I miss Zesto's.

I rode a red '81 GPz550 and then a pink & teal RF600R when I lived in Va-Hi...

JimB said...

The anti-gun stuff is what makes it so realistic... after all it is set in New York City...