Friday, January 22, 2010

Gunsmithing today...

I played with the .22 AR conversion Wednesday, and yesterday was spent learning the intricacies of my 22/45 and giving the Para LTC 9 and the '66 Colt the long-overdue thorough cleanings they desperately needed. You know how those finicky 1911s choke on any speck of dirt? Well, the '66 Colt, which lives in my range bag, hadn't had a good cleaning since the Awerbuck course last summer. (That's why I had it teflon coated, after all; life as a range beater is hard, rented mules have it easier.)

Today I hung around the shop at CCA and mostly watched guns getting fixed and a couple of kilobuck-plus 1911s getting built, as well as a Sooper Sekrit Project coming together, about which I hope to be able to blog. Tomorrow is revolver day. I'll be back up in the guts of my K-22 and my Model 34, as well as tearing down my 432PD to see how a new-fangled MIM-and-zit gun's innards differ from those of the old 5-screw Smiths with which I am familiar.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have good pics of my 32S&WL Hand Ejector's guts. I should have taken pictures of my latest acquisition's MIM guts as a comparison. :)

Chris

Caleb said...

Does this mean that once you're done I can hire you to do an action job on my 625/686/627? Because right now my choices for "action jobs" are 1) send the gun out of town, or 2) give it to the Butchers of Goose Hill.

Tam said...

If you do "2)", you lose 10,000 cool points.

Anonymous said...

Please let us know about the accuracy of the CMMG conversion. I was hot to buy one and then, I started reading about really bad accuracy. Like 8" groups at 50 yds.

Thanks

Caleb said...

You know, I gave a gun to the Butchers of Goose Hill once to put a front sight on. Not that hard, right? Wrong.

Needless to say, option 2 is only an option in the sense that it is possible for me to give my gun to them to get it 'smithed, not that I'd actually do it.

If I'm sending a Smith away to get work done, it's going to CCA or to Pinnacle.

Mike W. said...

How do you like the 432PD Tam?

Ian Argent said...

Well, the migratory bird for which they are named is famous for making a hell of a racket when you intrude on their personal space, and laying down a metric ton of used grass compost everywhere they've been...