Thursday, January 21, 2010

Small victory.

Today I made with the stripping and reassembly of the Mk.III 22/45; it was nowhere near as annoying as I feared, although I don't believe I'll be making a habit of stripping the bolt.

For what it's worth, this is the first time it's had more than a bore snake run through it since I bought it. The earlier Ruger rimfire autos were remarkably tolerant of filth, and I was curious to see if the extra mechanical gizmos in the Mk.III action would cause it to get befouled by cack quicker than its progenitors. Despite having enough fouling in the action to support the planting of row crops, it kept running with no real care other than occasionally squirting some Strike-Hold in through the ejection port.

On Shannon's recommendation, I installed a Power Custom extractor.

The trigger is still heinous.

8 comments:

Mad Saint Jack said...

I really have an irrational dislike for the added safeties on the MK III.

My opinion wasn't improved last year when I saw a MK III case failure that blew the loaded chamber indicator out of the gun.

I love my MK II 22/45 even though I'd bet I clean it even less than you do.
(Oh God, my poor dirty Rugers.)

ZerCool said...

I have a 22/45 MkIII as well ... it's a joy to shoot and impossible to strip. I never got the upper and lower separated, regardless of some rather aggressive force treatments.

Unknown said...

Ummm... what was your take on the mag cut for the catch and release butt'n?

Jeff said...

I love mine after I put in all the Volq parts, especially the MK II hammer to toss the mag disconnect. Mine has an upper with an integral can so it gets REALLY dirty in a hurry.

One of the things I saw at SHOT this year that made me want to spend $$$ was the new 22/45 with removable 1911 grips. I really wish I could just get the lower...

Tam said...

"Ummm... what was your take on the mag cut for the catch and release butt'n?"

I haven't experienced any problems because of it.

BryanP said...

Years ago when I bought my MkII 22/45 I decided to make an experiment of it. I run a boresnake through it, spray what I can with CLP and clean what I can reach with a small brush. I've still never disassembled it.

So far no problems.

MCSA56 said...

+1 for Volquartsen parts...

Good stuff that REALLY helps the trigger - but be forewarned. If you think taking the bolt apart is bad, just wait till the instructions read, "with your third hand align the pins and push through the opening..." when putting the action parts together in the gun.

;)

Stretch said...

I've a stainless steel MkII that I've never stripped. Just remove the grips, blow it out with an aerosol cleaner and then lube it. Five years and the only failures are magazine related.