Friday, June 01, 2012

Flashlights were a recurring theme.

A couple nights ago I had this extremely vivid dream, parts of which have stuck with me to this day.

There was this really neat pub. Its interior was all divided into cozy nooks and booths and it overlooked water on two sides, with a deck. And the cool thing was that there were radio-controlled boats in the water you could play with.

Anyway, at this pub, I was meeting with someone who, at least according to the dream narrative, was an old friend of mine, but I'm pretty sure I didn't go to high school with Uma Thurman's character from Pulp Fiction. Anyway, her parents were there, and they were both, like, CIA undercover agents or something. And I was showing my friend how to detail strip a 1911. Right there in a booth at the pub, so I guess it was someplace with a pretty casual attitude about firearms. Also, other stuff happened.

Last night, I dreamed that Bobbi and I had moved to New Hampshire, and were living in a townhouse whose neighborhood layout looked suspiciously like the Twin Lakes community in Sanford, FL. Anyhow, it was night, and I woke up in my bedroom and looked out the window, and there was a grizzly bear. What a grizzly was doing in New Hamster, I have no idea.

Anyhow, this wasn't a very big grizzly, and he had that "wearing baggy trousers" look they have when they're fresh out of hibernation. I closed my window, which I could reach from the bed, and he heard and came walking over and started pawing gently at the screen.

I was going to go get Bobbi to tell her, and I rolled over in the bed and she was right behind me with a Surefire M6, the kind SpecOps guys use to signal satellites, which she proceeded to shine out the window and right into my eyes and said "Hey! There's a bear out there!" while I rolled around on the bed yelling "I know! I was coming to tell you, and now I can't see!"

Later, I was at an Einstein Bros. Bagels to get a lox & cream cheese on a toasted onion bagel, and they were getting ready to close, and this guy who worked there was making sure there was nobody in the bathrooms by opening the doors and shining in a flashlight whose lens assembly was the size of an OD green anodized aluminum hubcap and practically blistered paint on the walls.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hhmmmm. Veeery innnterestink. Like I said before,an ....interesting.... thought pattern. O:-). JohninMd(help!)

perlhaqr said...

Bears and Bagels and Flashlights, oh my!

Wayne said...

Tam, go easy on the late night pizza.

skidmark said...

This might be your inner voice reminding you to check that the batteries in all your lights are reasonably fresh/holding a decent charge. I know that's the second or third thing I'd do after a dream ilke that.

stay safe.

Anonymous said...

Pizza? I was going to say peyote or X. Did you have a cartoon spirit wolf? Did it sound like Johnny Cash?

Matt
St Paul

Wayne said...

Peppers grown in the jungle primeval by inmates of a Guatamalan insane assylum, were on the pizza.

RL said...

Illuminating
;^)

Chas S. Clifton said...

What skidmark said. And then you can ask if anything in your life needs to be illuminated.

azmountaintroll said...

For the most part I try to stay out of other people's dream worlds, but I'd like the address of that pub where you can field strip a 1911 at the table without being bothered.

BobG said...

Please find out what is causing dreams like these. I want some, because my dreams are usually boring.

Pakkinpoppa said...

There's that serial bomber in...Arizona maybe...leaving bombs for folk to find secreted in flashlights.

But, yeah, I'd check the flashlights and batteries.

John B said...

Flashlight Dreams. Wonder what Dr Freud would do with that? Sometimes a Cigar is just a Cigar. But a Flashlight.....

I got nothin!

Anonymous said...

If you could make out the brand name of the flashlight with the hubcap size lens that blistered paint, well, I have an application for several of them.

Firehand said...

"When last seen the bear was bumping into trees and wondering how the sun got into that den."

Gerry N. said...

Good ol' Harbor Freight had a seventy six gazillion candle power rechargeable hand light with a forty foot 12V cord ending in a cig. lighter plug on sale for about $11. The missus let me buy one. I tried it out last night off the back porch. This ayem half my nice old fir tree is scorched clean of needles and there are bare, dry trenches in what used to be lawn. Also two skeletons of what used to be night rats ('possums). I never even heard 'em squeak. $11 well spent. I'm gonna get some more, one for the pickup, one for the missus' car, and I have a buddy whose birthday is coming up.

Eric Wilner said...

Anon@1:49:
I think the brand name is GALVANICK LUCIPHER.

NewJerseyThomas said...

What caliber for dream grizzly?

Dwight Brown said...

"I was at an Einstein Bros. Bagels to get a lox & cream cheese on a toasted onion bagel'

Wait, wait: you can still get onion bagels at your Einstein Brothers? Or was this more dream logic?

(The ones in my neck of the woods dropped onion bagels. Why, yes, I am bitter.)

Kristophr said...

Those New Hampster Grizzlies are dangerous ...

Spud said...

Ur dreams are telling ya to stock up on more food and batteries etc...