Thursday, January 30, 2014

Wiki Tab Clearing...

  • Lajos Kossuth. This one was open because Kossuth Street in Lafayette always sounded to me like it was named after an elder god who lurks, eyeless, in a cavern on the dark side of the moon, and I was pretty sure that wasn't it.

  • Kepi. Military uniform tangent spawned from Marko's FB page.

  • Schoolhouse Blizzard. Thanks, Chas!

  • Cephalic index. I was double-checking the spelling of brachycephalic and fell into the wiki hole. Creepy-Ass Hoosier History Fun Fact: You could enter your little h. sapiens whelp for judging for breed conformity right alongside your 4-H cows and baby chickens at the Indiana State Fair up until 1932!

13 comments:

batchainpuller said...

I am normally intellectually curious, but I had never once wondered about the name of my parent's birthplace; Kossuth County, IA. Thanks for the impetus.

Anonymous said...

Hungary, Dark Side of the Moon, same difference.

Shootin' Buddy

B said...

"believed criminality, mental problems, and pauperism were hereditary"

They are, but not due to genetics.

Ian Argent said...

And only one hop away from Zouaves, too.

Anonymous said...

My little town of Culpeper created a new road a few years back, and called it Montanus Drive.

Some places get a Mont Blanc, or maybe a Mont Ventoux. But here in rural Virginia we get a Montanus.

Samsam von Virginia

bluesun said...

Clicks first link "Hey, I love Hungary!"

Clicks second link "Hey, I love the history of military uniforms!"

Clicks third link "Hey, I love reading about historical cold snaps!"

Clicks last link "That's creepy as hell."

Chas S. Clifton said...

Thanks for the link, Tam. The definitive book, I think, is also called The Children's Blizzard and makes for great winter reading.

You're a 18-year-old schoolteacher with 6, 12, maybe 15 kids of all ages in an isolated building, no telephone, etc. This apocalyptic blizzard hits suddenly. What do you do?

1911Man said...

Pretty sure that's "Creepy Ass-Hoosier".

1911Man said...

Pretty sure that's "Creepy Ass-Hoosier".

Scott_S said...

Eugenics are fun and were supported by the US gov. for quite some time.

Matthew said...

Shootin' Buddy,

I doubt the Hungarian National Anthem syncs up with the Wizard of Oz.

Matt G said...

The sight of a kepi always makes me declare that I am "shocked-- shocked ! --to learn that [X activity] is going on in this establishment!"

LawDog said...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kossuth_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)

Whoops.

LawDog