Friday, January 06, 2023

Mild Kingdom


I noticed a flicker of movement on the ground out of the corner of my eye at the base of a phone pole as I was walking past it on the way to lunch the other day. I stopped, and heard this little guy scuttling up the far side of it, and I got the camera up in front of my face to obscure my eyes before he jumped to the tree next to the pole. Not having my eyes showing kept him from scampering higher into the tree and clucking my tongue at him kept him interested enough to stay focused on the camera...

It happened fast enough that I didn't have time to switch the Nikon D2X to center-weighted metering, and he was pretty heavily backlit on this unusually bright Indianapolis winter day.


The D2X and the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II is rapidly becoming one of my favorite urban photo safari setups.

.