Sunday, January 01, 2006

Blog Stuff: Just got back from the gun show...

The first one I've attended in a year or so.

Conclusion? If you go to gun shows to look for deals on new-production guns, they still suck.


If you're like me, on the other hand...

Flintlocks and Flop-tops
And Number Three Russians
Black-powder Mausers
From jackbooted Prussians,
Shiny Smith PC's from limited runs
These are a few of my favorite guns.

Socketed bay'nets
On Zulu War rifles,
Engraved, iv'ried Lugers
That make quite an eyefull
Mosin tomato stakes sold by the ton
These are a few of my favorite guns.

Rusty top-breaks!
Smallbore Schuetzens!
And all of Browning's spawn
I just keep on browsing my favorite guns
Until all my money's gone.

...well, I almost always find stuff that interests me. :)


This time around, I snagged a bayonet for my Garand, picked up some bulk .32 H&R Mag from Georgia Arms and inquired into their range ammo and dealer programs (always on the clock, I am), and got a bag of 50 handloaded .22 Remington Jet rounds for my Model 53 from a gentleman I'd done business with before. This, to me, is what gun shows are about; if I just want a new gun or some everyday shootin' ammo, I'll get it at work. Sadly, they were out of Blazin' Cajun Ends 'n' Pieces at the Crockett Creek stand, however. Can't have everything, I suppose...

I had an enjoyable time strolling the floor with my pal Marko, and was tickled pink to see the dozens of black CCA hats sprinkled through the crowd.

Some folks like to whine about gun shows, but then some folks would complain if you hung 'em with a new rope.

5 comments:

Xavier said...

We need to finish that song!

If more people would simply look for the odd and unusual used gun, the nice old leather, the pile of grips, there would be a lot less gun show complaints.

Anonymous said...

"...if I just want a new gun or some everyday shootin' ammo, I'll get it at work."

envy mode

Payday has got to be a bitch for you… :-)

/envy mode

The Commander said...

I'm jealous as hell, as you can tell.

Oh, and the Barrett M-99 sold today.

Yep.

Tam said...

"Oh, and the Barrett M-99 sold today."

...and here Alston was talking about keeping that a secret from you, just to see what would happen when you noticed it was missing tomorrow morning.

Good to see he came to his senses. ;)

Anonymous said...

Must be nice to have real gunshows. *sigh*