Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Boomsticks: 9mm AR guts...

Cowboy Blob had some 9mm AR questions and, slacker that I am, it took me a couple of days to remember to drag out the gun and the camera at the same time.

(Apologies for the photo: I had to hold the camera with one hand, the mag with my other hand, and use one foot to keep a cat from scaling Mount AR.)
(Yeah, it's about 250 rounds since the gun was last cleaned. It's a torture test, or something...)

The gun is trouble-free so far, but all I've run it with were Colt 32-rounders. I have an RRA-modified Uzi mag as well, but have yet to try it. The main visible difference between the mag catch holes on both is that the Colt mags have square holes (like mags 1 and 3 in CB's picture), while the modified Uzi mag has a rounded leading edge (like mags 2, 4 and 5).

One noticeable difference: My mag block doesn't stick up anywhere near as far out of the lower...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHich magwell is it? I've been mulling the RRA and the hahn.

-SayUncle

Tam said...

Sources say that it's a Hahn.

Cowboy Blob said...

Thanks for the post and pix! So, is that mag configuration the standard for Colt 9mm carbines?? I'd like to order a new mag or two to see whether the ones that came with the gun are junk or not.

Tam said...

The Colt mags have a dancing horsie on the floorplate and the "King's Men Only" ban-era markings on the mag body, and are identical to the ones for the M-635 rental gun here at work.


(PS: Hey, Uncle! Guess what came in the mail today? Hint: It's black, and shaped like an RRA mag block. Interested? If so, I'll excavate Alston's desk and try and dredge up pricing info...)

Goldwater's Ghost said...

So, other than maybe price, what's the difference between the Hahn and RRA blocks?

Tam said...

Not much of anything, at least as far as my keen mechanical eye can tell...