Friday, February 17, 2006

Books: Weber's other 'verse, and gewehrs in Grantville...

David Weber is best known for his "Horatio Hornblower-in-space" Honor Harrington tales, but almost equally enjoyable are the books he co-authored with Steve White set in the Starfire universe. Normally books based on games simply suck, but these (Insurrection, Crusade, In Death Ground, and The Shiva Option) are cracking good, well-realized military SF. Good, memorable characters and an internally-consistant universe make for an enjoyable read.

I'm taking a time out in the middle of my re-read of The Shiva Option, however, to read a short story in the copy of The Grantville Gazette I picked up at McKay's today: Curio and Relic, recommended to me here, answers the question "Where the hell were all the guns in 1632?"

Also scored at McKay's today: Collateral and Way Of The Gun on DVD. Hooray!

"Yo! Homey! Is that my briefcase?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you tracked down that story. Hope you like it.

I was checking my gun and ammo inventory the other day. I would RULE in the 1632 universe.

Owen said...

I love the 1632 verse. Has Eric Flint announced the publish date of the next book yet?

Kevin said...

Curio and Relic kicked ASS. Excellent story.

Anonymous said...

The Starfire books were pretty good. I just stumbled on them right around Christmas time in the two double-edition hardbacks. They were a good read, although I felt disjointed by Insurrection due to its having been written long before the Arachnid War books. Still, I'd be interested in another book if Weber decides to write one.