Saturday, September 13, 2008

Oh, and by the way, which one's Pink?

I have to admit to being totally out of touch with pop culture. I don't watch broadcast TeeVee, barely watch cable, and I can only assume that the tuner on my car stereo works, because the CD changer in the trunk means that I never use the radio.

So I was a little taken aback to find out that there is apparently a pop singer named "Pink" who is, like most celebrities in the entertainment biz, a complete whiz at foreign policy and possessor of a level of fiscal acumen that would shame Alan Greenspan. Now she wants to challenge the governor of Alaska to a geography bee-cum-therapy session:
"If I were writing a letter to Sarah Palin," Pink told PopEater during her Sessions taping on Thursday, "it would be a lot of whys and hows. Who are you? Do you know? Why do you hate animals? Please point out Iraq on a map ..."

What scares Pink are women who consider the Alaska governor's selection a feminist victory. "This woman hates women," the singer said.
Vapid pop singer or sitting governor? Vapid pop singer or sitting governor? Hmmm... I think I know who I'd be betting on in that particular game of Trivial Pursuit.

Anyway, showing such a Matt Damon-like, nay, positively George Clooney-esque level of political insight is a sure recipe for success in the odd Bizarro-world that is the E!-universe.

Come in here, dear girl, have a cigar, you're gonna go far...


(PS: "Hate animals"? No, no! Palin loves animals. With mashed potatos.)


BONUS!: Noted political scholar and ex-Tommy Lee video co-star, Pamela Anderson, weighs in with her views of Palin. Thank you, Pam. Shouldn't you be off getting a tattoo removed or something? Run along, now...

18 comments:

staghounds said...

You're not often shaky in your comparisons, but the ordinary squirrel has more fiscal acumen than Alan "FREE MONEY FOR EVERYBODY!" Greenspan. I suspect that even Pink knows that when one runs out of money, writing bad checks won't solve the problem.

I like her work, but when she steps away from it she's well over her head.

Anonymous said...

I love it when these guys say dumb things. It's like...you always knew they were dumb, but it's great that they are not afraid to show it.

Tam said...

"You're not often shaky in your comparisons, but the ordinary squirrel has more fiscal acumen than Alan "FREE MONEY FOR EVERYBODY!" Greenspan."

I went for the easily-recognized name.

Mea culpa. Mea maxima culpa.

You and I can subliminally insert Milton Friedman.

Anonymous said...

You're wrong about Palin. She loves animals with mashed potatoes AND gravy. Never forget the gravy!

staghounds said...

Eego te absolvo a peccatis tuis in nomine Smith, et Hayek, et O'Rourke.

Rob K said...

Surely Palin likes Animals. It's a great album, right? Eating mashed potatoes and gravy while listening to it is new to me, but there are so many weird Floyd traditions, it's hard to keep track...

Borepatch said...

Even though they often come pre-mocked, thank you for adding *your* mockery.

;-)

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone give a crap what a tattooed bag of Hep C thinks about politics?

Reno Sepulveda said...

I don't know weather to blame pop stars or the people who insist on asking them their political views.

I was at a Chuck Prophet concert a few weeks ago in a crowded little Santa Cruz pub. It was the weekend Obama announce Joe Biden as his running mate.

Everybody having fun, most a little drunk. Chuck says "anybody have any requests?"

People hesitated a bit so he says "anybody uh have any ummm...questions?" Immediately some guy pipes up (breathlessly of course) "What do you think about Biden?!!!"

I don't even remember Chuck's smartass rockstar answer but it struck me on a nice warm Saturday night with good music and good drink, the only pressing question most people have is whether to use debt or credit for the bar tab but one lone asshole simply had to interject his politics into the show.

Anonymous said...

Let's see, P!nk (not feeling like looking up the upside down ex point right now): trying to channel Billy Idol's persona, which went by the wayside when she was born. She's supposed to be the anti-Brittany, the model for independent girls. Though she tarts herself up in a gothy ragamuffin sort of way, and writhes about in her videos showing off that gym rat body. But don't look, you sexist! With her tattoos and snarl, she's unique, just like everybody else. Yeah, she's a creation of her producer, just like the rest. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

I don't mind if celebs spout off on things; after all what are we doing here? I only wish they'd take the time to make informed, educated comments instead of the usual sloganing.

phlegmfatale said...

On that Paul Begala article you linked last week, a woman in the comments was waxing horrific that Palin at 44 couldn't possibly be prepared to lead the country if she herself at 52 was not prepared for such a thing. She, like Pink, projects that because she is aware of her own staggering stupidity and ineptitude, another woman couldn't possibly be capable of manning the reins of power. Pink thinks because she can't find Iraq on a map, then Sarah Palin couldn't possibly be able to, either. Classic case of projection.

Asshats.

Anonymous said...

"Why would anyone give a crap what a tattooed bag of Hep C thinks about politics?"

Quote of the Day, right there!

Rabbit said...

Anyone else notice that the Palin/P!nk for VP poll on that article has Palin leading by 2 to 1?

I think that there were enough votes cast that it's not 'just us'.

What does a Republican Landslide smell like?


Regards,
Rabbit.

Robert Langham said...

There goes my theory that Pink was your sister.

Jay G said...

And Tam cements her role as "Queen 'o' Cool" for the 'Floyd ref.

Oh, if I only had a nickel for every time I listened to that song while...

Well...

I'd have a shitload of nickels...

Anonymous said...

It was a long, strange day. Perhaps for that reason all that comes to mind as my retort to all the celebs who see themselves as political pundits is this:

(In my best Ah-nold)
Ha! My god laughs at your Four Winds.

Anonymous said...

As far as I know, she's a member of PETA too. Or likes them. Or has done ads for them. Or something. Anyway, good enough proof of idiocy. Same goes for Pamela Anderson.

Anonymous said...

I find celebrity comments such as Pink's laughable at best. These people are so far removed from reality (or at least my reality) that I can't even begin to relate, or even understand really where their head is at when they make comments like that. I have a boy that's joining the Marines, and a freezer full of deer, rabbit, and pheasant meat, I think my reality is closer to Palin's than Pink's...