Thursday, November 13, 2008

About some things, I am superstitious.

If you own a Smith & Wesson revolver with a titanium cylinder and actually read the destructions, you will note that they go on at length about a magical coating used on the titanium that is supposed to prevent flame erosion and possible concomitant crack propagation in the cylinder. They warn not to do anything even slightly abrasive to the cylinder, lest this voodoo film be damaged in some way. Therefore, I only use soft cotton patches moistened with a little CLP or FP-10 to clean the cylinder on my 296.

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid, but pictures like this give me the creeping willies.

As it is, I've had the 296 for seven years now, and it has shot a bunch of trouble-free rounds. I'd like to keep it that way...


(And yes, I know that in the linked case the problem was not flame erosion, but the aftermath is the same...)

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeesh.

I think I'd be superstitious about reloads.

Anonymous said...

Makes me like my SS629 alitte more!

scooter

Anonymous said...

Makes me glad I haul the old Springfield Armory 1911 or Ruger Blackhawk (45 LC with Cor-Bon hot loads) around these days. Both are veritable hammers day in and day out. You always want a dependable shot every time you pull the trigger ~ If you're going to shoot something, you've got other things on your mind.

Take care all!

Randy

Anonymous said...

From a former S&W engineer, trust me, they're telling the truth about the nitride coating. It's the same with the hardcoat on the M-16/AR-15, but the -16 locks up steel to steel, so it's not as critical.
And there's this whack-job toolmaker buddy of mine up at Smith who has put umpteen bazillion +P loads through his titanium whizz-bang with nary a glitch.
So, while I have some seroius differences with S&W management over their rifle program, they really do know their wheelguns.
Also, check with fave little gunshop Monday or Tuesday for you know what(s).

Anonymous said...

I don't have anything to offer on this, but did anyone catch this?

No Hillary Hole

WHY WEREN'T THEY SELLING THESE YEARS AGO?

Sorry for the derail.

Assrot said...

Doesn't surprise me much. I've never cared for them air weight guns. Don't think much of polymer junk either.

If it ain't made out of good, solid steel and if it weighs less than a couple of pounds it's a worthless shootin' iron to me.

Joe

Crucis said...

tjp, I have one of those 442s. Just like the one pictured. If you look on the other side, it has that little "Hillery Hole."

I bought mine last summer and have at least 500 rounds though it now. It's +P rated but I load it with standard .38s.

Anonymous said...

I guess Blogger ate my comment the last time, but if you'd like to learn a bit about using penetrant dye to check your cylinders for cracks, drop me a line. You know when you wipe a smudge off your skin and it leaves the pattern behind? Its like that, cheap, easy, might be useful to avoid cases like this. Jim

Unknown said...

Real guns are made of steel. Aluminum is for airplanes.

Drang said...

Following tjp's link, i note that they still show the 396 in the catalog. It's the Model 396 Night Guard, has XS tritium sites and a matte black finish. I'm not sure I'm ready to shell out over a grand, though.

No 296 or 696.

Hunsdon said...

Steel (even 6-series). Walnut.

That's just how I roll.

EXCEPT for the mighty love I have for some Colt's Cobras.

Yeah. .38 Special. No plus P.