Thursday, November 13, 2008

Learn something new every day...

While wikiwandering this morning, I was made aware of the distinction between actual rotating-drum turrets and the armored gunhouses atop fixed barbettes that we term "turrets" on modern ships. I had previously gleaned the fact that there was a distinction, inferring it from various readings on big boats with guns, but it had never been spelled out for me before.

I doubt this question will be on the final exam, but I am oddly satisfied to have acquired the tidbit of information nonetheless.

4 comments:

J.R.Shirley said...

Still a wee bit confused...but interesting reading regardless.

Rich in Ohio said...

There is a similar distinction between tanks and self-propelled howitzers. The turret on a tank has a floor that turns with it. The SP howitzer has a cab which simply keeps the rain out.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't realized that gravity is pretty much the only thing that kept WWII turrets on their ships!

Anonymous said...

well acutally yes and no, they do have turret hold down clips.

scooter


http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/62a.htm