Friday, April 24, 2009

Whew!

It was time for all the pretty flowers to die with the ritual First Lawn Mowing Of The Season.

(Yes, I know that wild violets and the like are technically "weeds", but they are pretty weeds, and so they got a one week grace period before beheading. This is Broad Ripple; we're expected to be eccentric and hippielike.)

The iPod served up a choice lawn mowing mix, too, with L7, Urge Overkill, Joy Division, Spacehog, The Clash, No Doubt, and Kula Shaker. I felt like I was mowing the lawn to the soundtrack of a Michael Mann movie.

75F is fairly warmish when it was only 37F yesterday morning, by the way.

I am pleased to see that my delphinium has survived to see a second growing season.

9 comments:

Somerled said...

Old-time Hippies would let the yard go to hell and then pick greens and harvest roots for sustenance, herbal remedies, and dyes for their unwashed t-shirts.

Anonymous said...

And no doubt, right now, some Government bureaucrat is investigating "delphinium" possession and why it currently doesn't require a license from the state!

Either these civilians are messing around with some kind of heavy metal for cop killer bullets, or Bobbi X has been storing star ship fuel in an unsafe manner.

word verification : morat - that dude Cohen's evil twin, who fooled so many voters in the '08 election.

Tam said...

"And no doubt, right now, some Government bureaucrat is investigating "delphinium" possession and why it currently doesn't require a license from the state!"

Delphinium "Black Knight" is a variety of Larkspur, and contains a powerfully toxic alkaloid called delphinine that will 'splode your heart if you eat the leaves.

bse5150 said...

I knew I liked your site for a reason: You're an L7 fan! Do you have the Smell The Magic tee shirt? If so, if it's extra large, I want you to send it to me immediately!

og said...

Just did my first mow. And it was plenty fine. Of course I used the pushmower (gas, not reel type) because the tractor deck is still being rebuilt- but it was nice nonetheless. All frigging acre of it. Bagged it too. Now I need a nap...

Marcus said...

L7 and Urge Overkill? Sounds like somebody was listening to "The Crow" soundtrack to me.

BTW... "Shitlist" is by far the best L7 song.

The Freeholder said...

"First Lawn Mowing"? Good grief, we've been mowing since mid-March!

wolfwalker said...

Yes, I know that wild violets and the like are technically "weeds", but they are pretty weeds, A weed is just a flower growing where you don't want it. If you don't mind having it there, it ain't a weed.

Home on the Range said...

I broke down and bought a new mower. I think IKEA must have made it, it had so many parts (some assembly required my ass).

Then I went all out and got a new weed wacker as well. Let the games begin.