Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Weekly Whine...

Sorry for the paucity of postings today. Three-and-a-half hours in the dentist's chair this AM made me less than loquacious.

Further, on the way home I had cheese enchiladas for lunch at La Piedad and then strolled past Big Hat Books while I was in the neighborhood. I had no idea that P.J. O'Rourke had a a new book out.

I am curled up on the porch with fresh reading material. This will be interesting: In Holidays In Hell, which may be my favorite book from P.J., he traveled around the world to communist hellholes, third-world cesspits, and a Jesus theme park. I'm anxious to see what the sequel's like, now that you don't have to leave the comfort of home to see any of the three...

10 comments:

Keads said...

Tam, One of the things I learned is that if you get numbed up for some quality time at the Dentist, the last thing to do is eat shortly thereafter. I have found myself eating the inside of my mouth.

I hope your procedures were less invasive!

Oh, great. Another Kindle download? My list is big enough thanks to you!

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Ooo, I didn't know my dentist comment in the previous entry would be so relevant.

Old NFO said...

Hope those dental visits are winding down... And you feel better soon!

SiGraybeard said...

Ever read Parliament of Whores? 1996 (?) by O'Rourke. Can't recommend highly enough.

Drang said...

And there I thought you were the uber PJO fan, always up on his activities and whereabouts...

Tim Ellwood said...

Love PJ, my favorite is "just one of those days" from Republican party Reptile. Only time I have seen a Walther MPK ever mentioned in print.
Just finished "The Mac Man" about Gordon Ingram and his submachine guns.
Very interesting read

Tam said...

Graybeard,

I'm pretty sure I have everything he's had published in book form.

Pakkinpoppa said...

Tam, unfortunately I think I only have half of Mr. O'Rourke's books, but I can't pick a favorite. Usually it's the one I just read. I am partial to "CEO of the Sofa", as his chapter about making drugs legal or keeping them illegal is pretty darn funny, especially right after the chapter about Social Security.

But new PJ O'Rourke? Oh my... my last trip to the book store, the imp slept half the time as he wasn't a year yet. Wow. Time flies.

Secret code: ivensh hormaket

Didn't he collaborate with Tokarev.

mariner said...

Way too many of your posts lately start with something about a dentist's chair.

Do you have a membership or something?

;)

Justthisguy said...

Well, Ma'am, you are way ahead of me. I would have to spend at least $10,000 which I don't have, to set my teeth sorta right. I had some work done at the Emory University Dental School just before they closed it, and it is quite true that apprentices do the best work because they are allowed to take their time, and are well-supervised.