Friday, January 06, 2017

...and done.

So Thursday morning was the final range trip of the 2,000 round Gen4 Glock 19 project. With only a hundred and thirty-four rounds left to go, I filled factory magazines with a hundred rounds of the TulAmmo and scrounged thirty four rounds out of partial boxes in the trunk: Ten rounds of 124gr Sellier & Bellot FMJ got loaded into a factory G19 mag, ten rounds of Remington "High Terminal Performance" 115gr +P JHP in a Magpul 17-rd magazine, and fourteen rounds of Winchester RA9T 147gr Ranger-T (which was inexplicably in that Federal HST box) in the Magpul 15-round mag.

Oh, TulAmmo, how do I hate thee? Let me count the ways! One would be the way it wants to bind up in mags like this. Care must be taken as the rounds are loaded to ensure they are not binding up. In the process of loading, I twice had to unload and then reload magazines due to the exact situation depicted in the above photo.

All one hundred and thirty four rounds functioned properly through the weapon, with no malfunctions to report. I fired the partial mags first at the upper target zone; the Remington was exceptionally flashy and blast-y, with a muzzle report and flash easily the equal of Federal 9BPLE.

Then I just did mag dumps with the TulAmmo at the lower A-zone. I was the only person shooting that morning, and so I pretty seriously flouted the 1-rd/sec rules.

The comet tail of holes trailing off to the lower left shows the effect of only a month or so spent away from the pistol bays at the outdoor range. Dry-fire and shooting on an indoor range with a nominal speed limit on your rate-of-fire are good for maintaining marksmanship, but can cause a bit of atrophy in the skills used to shoot fast follow-up shots. A lot of that comes from feeling my grip coming apart and trying to fix it mid-string, I think, but it would be useful to video myself at this point, or recruit a training partner.

That makes 2,000 rounds through the Gen4 19 since it was cleaned or lubricated with two failures-to-fire (#205, #1,290), two failures-to-extract (#1,367, #1,447), one failure-to-eject (#1,505), and four failures-to-feed (#814, #864*, #1,681, #1,741). 0 rounds to go.

I'll note that not one of those malfunctions was brass-cased ammo in a Glock magazine. In fact, none of them, except #814 and #1,681, involved brass-cased ammo at all, and both those were in the ETS mags.

Personally, I'd have to say that my own jury is still out on the ETS 30-round stick as anything but a range toy. I could see using the 20-round one in a class-type environment or any game that allowed it, but I think I'd stick with factory mags or maybe the Magpul for carry. (I haven't had any failures with the Magpul mags yet with anything but steel-cased ammo, but factory is obviously the safer bet.)

How do I feel about the Gen4 19 itself? Well, I cleaned it, at least cursorily, and lubricated all the Glock-specified lubrication points, then I loaded it up with Speer 124gr +P Gold Dots and holstered it up. I want to get some range time in with the Gen3 19 I've been carrying since last December, and this gives me the chance to do it without all the administrative loading and unloading that would otherwise be involved.
.