Saturday, December 24, 2016

Christmas Eve Eve.

Shootin' Buddy drove down from Lafayette and we headed over to Indy Arms Co. to do some blasting.

The previous tenant of Lane 5 left evidence of their pistoleering prowess hanging out at the twenty-foot line. It's okay, dude; I'll throw your target out and sweep your brass up, too.

I'd brought two hundred rounds already loaded into magazines. The Wolf Polyformance felt a little sticky going into the new-ish Magpul 15-rounder, and you could hear rounds down in the tube ratling around, so I dumped it out and loaded them into a factory G-lock mag. The (much more well-used) 17-round Pmag with the Wolf Polyformance in it didn't rattle when shaken, and so I decided to see if it would feed...

Only the top two rounds, as it turns out. The rest of them were stuck tight by the friction of whatever coating Wolf uses on those things. Magazines I've seen Wolf Polyformance have this issue with now include both Magpul and ETS aftermarket Glock mags, as well as factory mags for the M&P9, PPX, and Ruger American Compact. They haven't yet caused this issue for me in factory Glock mags.

I'm going to put this in the notes as a "failure to feed", but since the round never actually got close to the working parts of the gun, it's hard to hold it against the pistol. This is an ammo/aftermarket mag compatibility issue. (I'll note that I've shot a reasonable amount of Brown Bear and TulAmmo through this very Magpul mag and never experienced this issue with them; only Wolf Polyformance. Go figure.)

Other than that, the two hundred rounds went by without any issues, firing fifty founds each at fifteen, ten, seven, and five yards. At each range I was trying to keep the trigger in continuous motion for 4- and 5-round strings, letting my sights be my gas pedal.

I need to do more work out past ten yards.

That makes 1,046 rounds through the Gen4 19 since it was cleaned or lubricated with one failure-to-fire (#205) and two failures-to-feed (#814, #864*). 954 rounds to go.
.