Monday, December 29, 2008

Poultry heaven.

Shannon the gunsmith works on guns for a living; what he does for a hobby is make the most delicious food I have ever eaten. I always looked forward to the start of a new work week because he'd bring in a home-cooked lunch and always brought enough to share, which guaranteed that I'd find a reason to be lurking, vulture-like, around the gunsmithing shop at lunchtime.

Now that I'm dabbling in the kitchen myself, one of my missions for this trip was to get a couple of recipes from him for some of my favorites I'd tried over the years. There's a tasty chili verde, spicy smoked chicken chowder, Hoisin pork loin, and most important of all was a dish he called "Alsatian chicken".

Now, if they really eat chicken like this in Alsace, you could roto-rooter their arteries and use the scrapings to make biodiesel. Just looking at it will make your left arm hurt, but it tastes divine. Suffice it to say that any dish whose primary ingredients are butter, heavy cream, Gruyere cheese, and white wine is right up my alley. I can hardly wait to try it when I get home.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Post them! Post them! Post them recipes!

Anonymous said...

They really make chicken like that in Alsace. Nutritionists have/had something called the "French paradox" where they can't figure out how the hell the French get away with eating that stuff on a very regular basis with lower rates of heart disease than Americans.

Answer "lots of red wine" seems less likely to me than "we still haven't worked out exactly what the most important risk factors for heart disease are".

Anonymous said...

Butter, heavy cream, Gruyere cheese, and white wine? Sounds suspiciously like the "Champagne Chicken" in the "Eat What You Want And Die Like A Man" cookbook that occasionally pops up in your Stuff You Need bar.

Word ver: notfu - the opposite of tofu, which would pretty much be this dish. Or steak. Whichever is easier to come by.

Anonymous said...

Hmmph. l'Alsace [sniff] iss nowt twooly a paaht of Fwaantz.