Friday, July 18, 2008

Like a slow-motion train wreck...

I'm ripping Van Halen's Best Of, Volume I right now, and listening while it rips.

We're currently at "Dance The Night Away", which means we're about two tracks from where the train veers off the rails, three tracks from where the cars start to pile up, and five tracks from where body parts start hitting the ground. You'd think time would dull the pain, but it never gets any easier to watch...

UPDATE: Dave's ego has just decided to "Jump". Here's where it starts to sting a bit...

UPDATE II: It finished ripping while playing "Why Can't This Be Love?", allowing me to eject the disc with a clean conscience and sparing me from the insufferably smug and socially conscious "Right Now". Thank Shiva. Next disc: Bloodletting, by Concrete Blonde.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Concrete Blonde's Bloodletting, now that's one I haven't heard in years. I think the last time I listened to that album was in college, about 14 years ago.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Thanks! My WinAmp play list is filling up with all these "haven't listened to that in a while" prompts. The small joys of personal USB drives and small companies.

Buckaroo Banzai said...

Van Halen's old stuff is phenomenal. The newer stuff? Not so much.

Mattexian said...

Aw, c'mon! VanHagar's stuff ain't that bad!

Anonymous said...

Hey lady, don't tell me what love can do.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

The 5:15 from Duluth,
Oh my! It just derailed!
The toxic waste is spillin',
The conductor's been impaled.
A benzene cloud has risen
And the whole town's startin' to cough.

[to the beat] [cough, cough] … [cough, cough]


Within a matter of day-eeez,
All of our skin will fall off.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of music, you've all caught the first two episodes of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog haven't you?

Brass

Rob K said...

I wish they'd changed their name when Dave was out of the band, `cause they really weren't the same band anymore.

I almost pulled Bloodletting off the CD stack the other day.

Anonymous said...

I could not stand Roth. Never, from day-one.

To me, that band only started happening for real when Sammy dropped in.

Anonymous said...

Treat yourself...

Listen to Bloodletting while reading any of Neil Gaiman's Sandman graphic novels (I'd recommend Vol 2, "The Doll's House," but that's just me).

gvi

Reno Sepulveda said...

Concrete Blonde! God I love Johnette Napolitano's voice.

And it ain't Van Halen without Dave. Never was never will be.

alath said...

There seem to be two opinions on David Lee Roth:

1) He was, if not the entire heart and soul of Van Halen at least the band's right ventricle. VH was never the same after he left.

2) He was a mediocre singer and such a flaming hyperinflated ego that no group he was part of could possibly last very long.

Am I the only one who believes both 1) and 2) are true?

Tam said...

I always get defensive and say things like "Well, what's wrong with a monstrously inflated ego?"

;)