Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Time Sink.

It went like this: Mark David Chapman was briefly dissuaded from stalking Lennon by the movie Ordinary People, which won Robert Redford a Best Director Oscar over Martin Scorsese, who also directed Gangs of New York, which is set in the old Five Points neighborhood of Manhattan, which was home to the New York jail known as The Tombs, the early-20th Century version of which had a bridge connecting it to the Criminal Courts Building that was nicknamed after the famous "Bridge of Sighs" in Venice, which connects to the Doge's Palace, which is also the name of a track by Mike Oldfield, who played a Fender Telecaster on his best known album, which is the guitar George Harrison used during the studio sessions for Let It Be, which was the last Beatles album released before their breakup, which was exacerbated by Yoko Ono, who was there when Lennon was shot by Chapman.

I got to Venice purely by accident. Navigating from there back to my starting point by a different route was on purpose. (And interesting.)

18 comments:

Turk Turon said...

You're gonna make the internet implode if you keep this up!

Themadlemming said...

Okay, I am now officially in awe of you.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I bet you read the Encyclopedia for fun, as a tyke. I know I did. Endlessly fascinating, and many never 'see' that.

Ed Foster said...

Famous Three Stooges bit from the 40's...
Why are fire engines red? Because 2 plus 2 is 4, and 3 times 4 is twelve, and there are 12 inches in a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth was a ruler, and Queen Elizabeth is also a ship, and a ship goes in the ocean, and the ocean is full of fish, and fish have fins, and the Finns fought the Russians, and that's why fire engines are red, because they're always rushin' around.

Kind of like the "reasoning" behind global warming. Concerning which, I just stumbled across an online article on such that pretty much says it all, Global warming, fact, fiction, and political endgame, by Mark Alexander.

Google or Ask it up, and pass it on to everyone you know who might have an I.Q. larger than his belt size. Great read.

CGHill said...

Who let the Doge out?

Mike said...

Ok - I follow all of that, and have made those strange journeys myself, and then marveled at the path taken. What is not clear though is what triggered the journey through the time sink.

Brian J. said...

What's the connection to Edgar Allan Poe's untimely death? After all, he mentioned the Masons in a story and had to be punished.

GeorgeR said...

Wikipedia Safaris are great fun...

TJP said...

Everyone mentioned can be connected to Kevin Bacon with a Bacon Number of 3 or less. I'm sure Dan Brown is now writing a novel based on this post.

Anonymous said...

You forgot that Bridge of Sighs was an album by Robin Trower of Proco Harem which was a favorite group of Lennon's!

No kidding.

NotClauswitz said...

All I remember is Tubular Bells - and a white flock of pigeons on the ground outside the Palace in the winter, that mixed with the snow so when they flew-up suddenly startled it was like the ground was falling UP - on my way down to Barcelona. It was still cold in Barcelona where I was bit by a violin spider and my leg swelled-up, but not as cold as Vienna.

Anonymous said...

Procul Harem? I remember Procul Harem. They did Bach, right?

Think about it, that's a trick question.

Borepatch said...

That's simply awesome.

Although the Burgess Shale and Quantum Black hole connection might be added. Then again, they're obvious ...

sam said...

Connections-Tam, FTW!

I saw James Burke speak once. It was SRO. And hilarious.

The TV show wasn't bad, either.

WV: triecrut. Uh, I think i'll pass.

mikelaforge said...

I lurk and always laugh, and sometimes fume, in a good way, about your spot-on shots no matter where I happen to be. Ahh - The power of the inntertubes - Mike

Matt G said...

You turned back for home at about the spot where I figured you had taken the wheel.

Darrell said...

Tam, Coast To Coast AM was talking about the Beatles this morning, and what they said sounded just like what you wrote. Coincidence?

Tam said...

Who was the guest? Major Caudill? ;)