Tuesday, August 30, 2011

More zoo photos...

I think this guy's an Inland Bearded Dragon, but he has acquired the nickname "Bust-A-Pose lizard", due to his exquisitely evolved ability to make sure you only photograph his good side.


This is the famous common tie-dyed lizard, sometimes known as the "whoa, dude". Its natural range used to extend all the way to the back row of the Grateful Dead concert, but now only runs from the parking lot of the Phish show to the western edge of Burning Man. Most frequently seen basking at the bottom of tequila bottles, lurking in clouds of bhang smoke, or hiding in thickets of peyote cactus.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Timothy Lizard's dead.
No, no, he's out there looking in.

Gerry

Anonymous said...

I am the Lizard King,

I can do any pose.

Shootin' Buddy

Firehand said...

Few years back some friends in Texas looked in the back yard one cool day to see what turned out to be a Bearded Dragon sunning on a rock. Few days later spotted it again, with what turned out to be his girlfriend. The neighborhood now has a population of them, and since they took up housekeeping in the attic some of their bug problems disappeared.

Best can be figured is someone had the pair as pets and they either got out or were turned loose and made themselves at home.

North said...

Blends right in with my box of highlighters.

Old NFO said...

Good pics, and they are interesting little lizards :-)

Mad Saint Jack said...

OT: What is the word from your almost a dentist?

Carl H said...

When I was about 5 years old, my family took a vacation in SW Missouri. I went down to throw rocks in a nearby creek (I still do this) and saw a 'mountain boomer' - a large lizard that often runs on it's hind legs. They're often blue - this one was. It stood up and ran away...and no one believed me when I told them I'd seen a 'tiny blue T-Rex at the creek'. Years later, I saw another and found out what they are. They still crack me up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_boomer

Anonymous said...

I've heard they can squirt patchouli to ward off predators...

Antibubba