Friday, July 10, 2009

Mandatory defenselessness on the way out?

Dave at The Defensive Handgun Blog reports that a bill is moving through Congress that might overturn the federal ban on firearms in public housing.

Opinions of public housing aside, if you're going to warehouse people in human zoos, must you also mandate their helplessness before the predators you allow to roam uncaged? In a post-Heller world, depriving them of guns would be the same as denying them, say, the right to go to church, or billeting troops on their sofas.

6 comments:

staghounds said...

“What we’re trying to do will not involve votes” says it all.

ZerCool said...

I think you could make the argument that since it IS public/publicly funded housing, the billeting of troops in Section 8 housing would be OK. I have a sneaking suspicion it might reduce some of the "issues" common to subsidized accomodations.

Tam said...

Heh. I'm trying to separate issues here.

Personally, I think the fed.gov has about as much right to be in the landlord business as they do being in the doctor business, but if they are, then they still have to treat their clients like American citizens...

Steve Skubinna said...

Hell, I don't accept that the Federal Government has any right to be in the business business.

Borepatch said...

Bonus style points for a 3rd Amendment reference. I'd bet you'd get people to stop and think with that, if you tossed it out in a discussion ...

brianS said...

I do hope it is ok,, I did not post but I did recommend a read to your post from my limited tiny little twisted blog. thanks

BrianS