Monday, July 06, 2009

The most patriotic gun?

Our only company at the range was a guy and his two sons shooting a Mini-14 and a bolt action .22 rimfire. I made a comment to the father about there not being a better way to celebrate the 4th and he heartily agreed. I didn’t do much shooting yesterday. I loaded magazines for Mischa and Eddie and fiddled with my Buckmark’s adjustable sights, but mostly I watched the father and his boys.

I asked them if I could take their picture for this blog. ”Sure no problem.”

“Do you want me to obscure your faces you know, it’s the internet and all?”

“No that’s OK we’ve got nothing to hide”

If I talked like Ward Churchill, I would say “on that day….. my heart….it soared like an eagle”. What’s the most patriotic gun you can shoot on the 4th? This one right here.
Read the whole thing. Look at the pictures, too...

8 comments:

Bram said...

I have a replica of an American Committee of Safety Musket. I've been known to load it up with black powder and make some noise on Independence Day.

dave said...

Amen.

Quigley said...

Damn that's a good post and thanks for sharing it.

Love the quote at the end too...

Carl H said...

Nice.

Top of the Chain said...

Friday found me buying a Ruger 10/22 in digicam. Due to inclement weather, no shooty goodness on Saturday, but ohhh Sunday!!!

BadIdeaGuy said...

Great post- I love the bolt action .22 with the boys. With one at almost two years and another little boy due around Aug 18th, I dream of the day I can take them shooting! (In a year or two we'll re-evaluate things and see if we can't have a little girl who can learn to shoot as well). It made me a little sad thinking it's not just "you can't do this in Iran or PRK", but how threatened doing it here is. I want my kids and someday grandkids to be able to shoot (and purchase) what I shoot, where I shoot.

Unknown said...

Super … a heartwarmer.

I especially liked the quote from my favorite historical figure: “Lighthorse Harry” Lee,
Virginia dragoon & cavalry commander of the Continental Army, whose fifth child was
**removes hat**, Robert Edward Lee, who participated in the unpleasantness of 1860 – 65.

John B said...

Loved it all, except for the reference to that alleged Native Hyphenated Anti American Ward Churchill. He's a moronic dork. At his best.