Saturday, August 24, 2013

Saturday in the Ripple...

The show was interesting. Ammunition levels are creeping back up, as Adam Smith's invisible hand tinkers with prices and purchases. There was plenty of 9mm commercial ammo to be found, but you had to look to find any much under $0.40/rd.

Rimfire was around, but spendy; by noon today, though, some of the dealers with more... optimistic pricing on bulk pack .22LR were spontaneously offering to haggle.

After the show, Shootin' Buddy and I went to 10-01 Food & Drink for some lunch before wandering down to Starbucks to get some coffee.

Starbucks was full. The hippies and yuppies of Broad Ripple must have missed the boycott alert.
Sipping our tasty beverages, we ambled back towards the truck. Along the way, I saw my first roly-poly Fiat 500L in the wild. The styling makes absolute sense if you stop to realize that kids who were ten years old when the Disney flick Cars hit the theaters are about college age now...

It looks like a life-size refugee from a Chevron commercial.


12 comments:

greg said...

The worst part about ammo prices is...I don't really remember what a good price is. I made a fairly large bulk purchase a few years ago, and other than some fairly rare stuff(.32 H&R Magnum for my Taurus) I've been limping along on my supplies for a while...but I'm starting to get to the buying stage on a few common calibers, and I'm just really out of touch on what's 'fair' anymore for .22, .223, 9mm and .38/.357.

JohninMd.(too late?!??) said...

.22LR's very hard to find here in S. Mordor. And when ya do, it's like 20 cents a rnd, or more. Yeesh.

JD Rush said...

I "bought" some 8mm Mauser today. Found out how fast it goes through an MG42, too.

lotta joy said...

Well, HECK. I never knew any bloggers from Indiana when I LIVED in Indiana! Now that I'm stuck in Florida, I'm finding Hoosier blogs everywhere!! Down here, I have to travel an HOUR to get to the closest gun range. In Indiana, I just walked out in the field.

Scott J said...

In the 9mm department a co-worker reported the Wal-Mart near the office had 20-30 Winchester White Box 100 round packs at $22 each yesterday.

I almost ran over and bought a couple but I have 900 handloaded lead round nose on the shelf plus a stash of a few hundred hollowpoints.

roland said...

My sad reality: 500 rounds of 10mm is a comfortable amount. A couple K 9mm, time to take a ride on the Dillon, because subgun. I haven't reduced my consumption much, but if I don't find some powder soon I'm going to have to rethink my "what shortage" position.

Garrett Lee said...

Scott J,

I read your comment as Walmart had boxes of "20-30 Winchester" ammunition. I was very confused for a minute, as I had never heard of that caliber and I was surprised that Walmart would carry it.

It does sound like an interesting wildcat cartridge, though, necking down a .30-30 to a fifth of an inch. No, I don't know what the use of such a thing would be, but it does sound interesting.

Steve Skubinna said...

I found last time home on leave that the more esoteric cartridges are still available at decent prices. Bought two 480 round packs of 7.5 Swiss for good prices. More common rounds are still pricey, even though availability has improved.

One telling note - both Sportsman's Guide and CTD are listing ammo prices in their print catalogs, instead of "Call for price."

Critter said...

i load a lot of .44 spl and .45 colt. cheaper than .22's for the past year or so.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Sorting through my .22 supplies yesterday, I found some 50-round boxes marked at three dollars. Sigh.

azmountaintroll said...

Re: 20-30 Win, Uses Of

Very small bears?

mustanger said...

Regarding the 20-30 idea, there's the .25-35Winchester. I'd get one of those... as a deer rifle... before I'd bother with a 20-30 wildcat.