Monday, August 07, 2006

Overheard at Calhoun's...

While I was dining at Calhoun's on my day off, I couldn't help but be fascinated as two guys at the bar regaled a local EMT with their experiences contracting in Iraq:

"Yeah, a lot of firefighters and cops over there are civilian contractors. These people need a lot of help just setting up basic... I mean, think about it: They've never been able to just pick up a phone and dial 911 to get help before, so they just don't know what to make of it. And when they do call, they've got real problems. There's not much rescuing kittens, it's.. I mean, like, 'Hello? Hello? Yes, my child has bring into the house an anti-tank mine. It is sitting on the living room floor. I live in the four story apartment, on the third story. Can you help me, please? What do I do?' ...and I'm thinking An anti-tank mine? Buddy you don't need the fire department, you need the army!"

Can't swear to the veracity of any of it, but the bit about the anti-tank mine was just too funny to not pass on.

1 comment:

FHB said...

Jeeze. It's as if that whole fuckin society just got planted down on the desert and has never been able tyo function before. Where the hell are the guys who used to do that sort of shit before we got there? Too busy burying bombs in the road?

Two words... Neutron Bomb!