Friday, October 23, 2009

Happiness on a cracker.

I pedaled to Fresh Market yesterday evening and picked up some fresh-sliced hard salami, pancetta, and Swiss. I have some Wasa crispbread here at the house already. Lunch is going to be yummy.

Bobbi seems a little taken aback at the idea of eating the Italian bacon raw. I told her that it can be eaten as a cold cut, like prosciutto, or cooked, but she's still dubious. It does look kinda like regular bacon, which can be disturbing to the uninitiated, but it tastes like heaven on a cracker...

As an aside, the little detachable shopping basket on my bike is just the berries. If only cars came with a built in shopping cart for the grocery store!


BONUS!: Via Butch_S in comments, GM's 1964 show car with built-in shopping cart!

15 comments:

2yellowdogs said...

Love ya, Tam...and I'm sure the pancetta *tastes* great uncooked (it IS pork, after all) but it's raw. And uncured. You really DO need to cook it!

Tam said...

But pancetta is cured.

BUFF_dragon said...

pancetta is GREAT!!!!!!
there are some stores around her that has it wrapped around a mozzerella log in the deli. when i'm having a bad day I stop and get that.... heaven in a plastic wrapper

Tam said...

That brings out the Nomminess in me. That and the little wraps of prosciutto and provolone.

Laughingdog said...

I probably would have had the same concern if someone had tried to get me to eat uncooked pancetta before I had seen a show on salt. Now that I know how salt works as a preservative, I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.

For those too lazy to read, bacteria have the roughly same reaction to high quantities of salt as slugs do.

Joanna said...

Is it the kind of basket that goes over the handlebars? Because I've been thinkin' about getting me one of those.

Eric said...

"If only cars came with a built in shopping cart for the grocery store!"

It's called a trunk. It even protects the groceries from weather...

Weer'd Beard said...

Laughingdog, sugar ganks them just as hard too.

staghounds said...

I am offended by the use of these racial slurs!

Anonymous said...

staghounds

I never knew berries was a racial slur. I always thought it was...

savage24 said...

If the stores keep getting bigger and cars keep getting smaller (and go electric), we can drive up and down the aisles...

Tam said...

Eric,

"It's called a trunk. It even protects the groceries from weather..."

No, this would be like having a trunk that disconnects from the car and can be pushed up and down the aisles at the store.

BUFF_dragon said...

I did see a small SUV yesterday that had a big 'rubbermade' cart attached to the spare tire carrier on the back of the vehicle..... that'd work for ya

Butch_S said...

GM did just that in one of their mid 60's show cars.

http://paleo-future.blogspot.com/2008/01/gms-shopping-cart-car-1964.html

OA said...

Tam said...
But pancetta is cured.


So is bacon, but not cured long enough to eat raw...just like pancetta. This is also why it's okay to eat prosciutto raw, but not country ham (unless it's been cured nine months to a year).