Monday, October 05, 2009

Range notes...

  • Between vacation in Tennessee, blogmeets, and other obligations, I'd missed two range weekends. Other than function-firing my little FN 1910 at Coal Creek and my regular dry-firing, I hadn't pulled a trigger in three weeks, so in addition to playing with the .32's, I had plenty of make-up work to do yesterday. I left the Marlin Papoose at home, and did nothing but pistol shooting: 9mm and .45 from the 1911's and lots and lots of double-action .22 revolver shooting.
  • You know, I used to think that Smith getting rid of that knob on the end of the ejector rod on wartime & later revolvers made sense; that it was just a cosmetic frippery. Not when your .22 is starting to dirty up and extraction is getting sticky, it's not. C'mon, S&W, how much would it cost to put that thing back? $5/gun? Make it a Performance Center feature.
  • Anybody who complains about the sights on a Colt Pocket Hammerless should be sentenced to an FN 1910. In fact, other than being cheaper to make, the striker-fired 1910 seems completely inferior in every way to the 1903.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Not when your .22 is starting to dirty up and extraction is getting sticky, it's not. C'mon, S&W, how much would it cost to put that thing back? $5/gun? Make it a Performance Center feature."

After my first range session with my newly purchased 17-2, I had little red marks on the palm of my hand from extracting spent shells. I now keep the chambers as clean as possible and hit them with a 22cal brush every 30 or so shots while at the range.

Chris

Tango Juliet said...

My .22 Outdoorsman is like an early '30's edition.

Plenty o' knobs on it.

Anonymous said...

The 1903 is the best pocket pistol ever made. I wish Colt would re-ishue it.

Jay said...

The worst sights I've ever come across is on my 1908 Vest Pocket. I've yet to shoot an FN 1910, but I can imagine.

Tam said...

Same quasi-guttersnipe sights, just with a better sight radius.

Anonymous said...

Worse than on a Luger???

Dennis

Sigivald said...

See, this just means you need to buy some machine tools and make your own...

Firehand said...

I don't bitch about my Hammerless sights; I just ignore them. Easy, since if the light's not good I can't see the damn things.

Firehand said...

And yeah, when my Combat Masterpiece is getting dirty, some brands stick pretty bad.

But oh, my, how it shoots!