Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Gun Nut Triviata:

I knew that Arthur Alphin and A-Square used to be based out of Indiana, but I did not know that Lee Jurras and SuperVel were located in the Hoosier state as well.

There's something pleasingly symmetrical to my gun nerd eye in that fact.

(Incidentally, LTC Alphin's lecture films from his West Point days are available on the DVD Guns Of War. I highly recommend it. Here is footage of a genial gun nut whose everyday job is to take all kinds of historical guns out on the range and demonstrate their use and historical significance to cadets. He looks like he couldn't be happier if he won the lottery. The footage is rounded out with some classic B&W WWII training films.)

.

12 comments:

Guffaw in AZ said...

I used to shoot Super-Vel in my Model 39 Smith (@$13.95/box) when 'regular' 9mm ball was $5.95!
And, I was making $2.00/hr.!
Was I a maroon, or what?

PS - Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Lee moved around a lot - growing up a Hoosier, I knew he was in IN, but I was surprised to learn when I moved to NM in '88 that he'd been here as well.

erich martell

Don said...

Via Guffaw:

Happy Birthday, Tam.

SoupOrMan said...

How could LTC Alphin not be happy? His entire job could be boiled down to filming himself "Okay, cadets, check THIS out!" and shooting stuff.

How can that be a horrible job?

Frank W. James said...

Last I heard Lee Jurras was back in Indiana and doing Clock repairs, but that was well over a year ago, might even have been over a handful of years ago.

I do know he has been extremely elusive prey for multiple gunwriters and doesn't seem to want to talk about the old days....at least NOT for the record...

All The Best,
Frank W. James

Army of Dad said...

"gun nut whose everyday job is to take all kinds of historical guns out on the range and demonstrate their use and historical significance to cadets. He looks like he couldn't be happier if he won the lottery. "

That IS winning the lottery!

Old NFO said...

Yep, I'd LOVE a job like that! :-)

Robert Fowler said...

Happy Birthday

Anonymous said...

Biggest...birthday dork...ever...

Kristophr said...

unrelated:

Maru: stunt cat.

Skip said...

Happy Bday Ms. K.

Best Handguns said...

As much as I like shooting my new guns I love seeing and handling "old iron" especially when thinking about the people who actually used the weapon in their day-to-day lives.