Friday, July 24, 2020

Automotif CLXXV...

So, yesterday morning I was on my way down to Roberts Camera. I had a hundred bucks in store credit to burn and they had a used Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens for just under five bills. I have a non-IS 70-200mm f/2.8L, thanks to a reader who made me a deal on a well-loved but quite functional example, but it's a big chunk of glass to haul around the zoo or the range. The f/4 version is noticeably more svelte and I thought it might be a worthwhile club to add to the bag, especially since the price was so right and I had that trade-in credit burning a hole in my account.

Anyway, I'm rolling down Central Avenue to Roberts, since it's a straight shot from Broad Ripple, rather than going down College Ave and having to jog over to Central anyway somewhere between Fall Creek and 16th Street. It's a pleasant, tree-shaded avenue that runs through fairly tony neighborhoods north of 38th, but it's decidedly sketchier turf south of 38th, with more boarded-up houses and vacant lots, until you cross the bridge at Fall Creek and get into the largely-gentrified Fall Creek Place neighborhood.

And right there, just south of 34th, I see something that causes me to pull the Zed around and park and get out with the camera.


Buicks of this vintage are not my specialty at all, but this is looking like an early postwar Super or Roadmaster.

Just a stunningly eye-catching auto; a Harley Earl classic that is heavily influenced by the lines of the original "Y Job" concept car.

Anyway, after exchanging waves with the lucky owner, I got back in the Z3 and continued to Roberts. They'd sold the lens by the time I got there, but I didn't consider the trip a waste.
.