Wednesday, July 01, 2020

MRDS

Dual-illuminated Trijicon RMR RM08

I've gone from "moderate curiosity" to "grudging acceptance" to "advocate (with qualifications)" on the topic of red dots on pistols over the last decade or so.

I mean, my current carry gun doesn't have a dot on it, but I wouldn't have a problem carrying one at this point. They're definitely easier to get new shooters up to speed with than irons, and are a real aid to accuracy for me out beyond ten yards or so. I can also tell from the way things are going with my vision that within ten years or so, I'll be personally a lot more enthusiastic about them.

Trijicon SRO

My "with qualifications" stems from a couple of things...

  • Thus far, the good ones cost dough. Trijicon is still the school solution, although the current iteration of the Holosun 507C is getting good feedback from people I trust and costs less. "Costs less" is still relative, though. For some people, $300 is an impulse buy and for others it's rather a lot of dough.

  • If you shoot more than a middlin' high round count, even the good ones are wear items. It can be argued that if you have the financial wherewithal to bust ten to twenty thousand caps a year or more, you have the dough to keep a spare MRDS on hand for use while you send the busted one off to Trijicon for warranty work, but that's again an individual choice. We've reached the point, though, where they're rugged and reliable enough to fast rope out of helicopters in Absurdistan, so they're definitely up to the rigors of the mean streets of suburbia.

  • They take a little bit of training to really get the best use out of them, but then again, so does the pistol to which they're bolted. I've taken red-dot-oriented classes from Aaron Cowan and Scott Jedlinski and recommend them both without reservation.