Thursday, August 09, 2007

Blog Stuff: Overheard on the Porch.

Me: "Bob, there's a spider on your leg."

Gunsmith Bob: "Where?"

Me: *points*

GB: *gently herds/brushes spider off leg*

Me: "What the hell are you doing? You herded it towards me! Kill it!"

GB: (With an air of great patience) "There are only two kinds of spiders we kill. Do you know what those are?"

Me: "Yeah. Ones that are on me, and ones that are trying to get on me."


Like I said previously, the spider population around here and I may be in an uneasy sort of détente due to their admitted usefulness as nature's bug netting, but if they violate our little truce by touching me...

I %$^&ing hate spiders.

9 comments:

theirritablearchitect said...

Ahh, come on Tam, tell us how you really feel.

Shane said...

Fastest way to make me scream like a little girl, put a spider on me.

My wife loves the fact that spiders are about the only way she can rattle my cage. Nothing like drinking coffee and having your wife go "Holy Cow! That is a huge spider about to drop on your shoulder."

I make her clean up the spilled coffee from the overturned table.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I let spiders live in our house. Heck, if we see a cute jumping spider, we may usher it inside. Why?

Jumping spiders, and other spiders in general, are quite territorial. They won't let other spiders invade their space. Brown Recluses, the biggest danger here in Missouri, are NOT territorial. They will climb all over each other with no problem. They're also highly resistant to sprays and bug bombs. If you get rid of the other spiders... you're inviting recluses.

Of the other spiders, Jumping Spiders are more territorial, more aggressive, and less likely to bite humans than any other kind of spider. That's why we keep them around. My brother, on the other hand, is quite likely to bite a jumping spider.

Anonymous said...

In additions to your two categories, I add Hobo spiders. Otherwise, I pretty much leave them be -- they help keep down the bug population.

Oleg Volk said...

Cute jumping spiders

Anonymous said...

Spiders...gah. Never liked them, can't tolerate them since one dropped on my face while I was asleep once. Also can't stand roaches...they creep me out.

Anonymous said...

Awwwww .... they just want to cuddle up to you ...

Anonymous said...

Gunsmith Bob is starting to sound like Boyfriend Bob :-)

Anonymous said...

So, I take it one should *not* release their collection of tarantulas in your general area?

:D