Saturday, August 25, 2007

Sorry I'm late...

Just got back from the National Automatic Pistol Collectors Association show in Chattanooga. Neat! Neat! Neat!

I saw more absolutely beautiful old Lugers than you could shake a stick at. (When's the last time you saw a pistol just sitting there with a $15,000 price tag on it?) There were Colts and Walthers and Roth-Steyrs and Dreyses and you name it. There was the absolute most perfect Polish Eagle Radom I have ever seen, and I got to hold it! I had no Idea the pre-War ones were that pretty, with nitre-blued screws and pins and even the end of the extractor visible in the slide. Oh, and I got to hold a Colt 1911 with Serial No. 12XX, from the very second batch of guns to come out of the plant.

The old guys were all pretty friendly, at least the ones who talked to me enough to figure out that I hadn't been dragged reluctantly to the show when I would've rather been out shopping. (Actually, one man there said to me "My wife's out shopping," to which I replied "Really? So am I. Do you have any Radom magazines?")

There were no Frommer Stops.


PS: My Colt Pocket Hammerless was older and way nicer than any of the ones I saw there. I'm beginning to realize what a great score that was...

7 comments:

NotClauswitz said...

Would love a nice Colt pocket hammerless, especially a USGI marked one...

Anonymous said...

I've been out shopping.
Would you like to see what I got?

Anonymous said...

Tam,

One mod you can pull is to get a type III upper and slide it on the older 1903.

My type I.32 (1910 production) is verry accurate.

but it tries to lob the barrell bushing down range after a couple of mags (not good)

so I put a type III slide (.32) and barrel on and viola,

accuracy is so so

went from .125 inch group to about .5 inch group. oh well, I hope I can hold minute of goblin with that.

you can find lots of type III barrels and slides as a lot of folk in fits of madness converted 1903s to 1908s (.380) the type I/II don't have that silly mag saftey either

btw the 1908 mags will fit your 03 but may or may not feed .32

I have one that does and one that won't grrr.

happy shooting

woerm on THR

Anonymous said...

"PS: My Colt Pocket Hammerless was older and way nicer than any of the ones I saw there. I'm beginning to realize what a great score that was..."

THAT'S what collectin' is all about!

Anonymous said...

Mine is a dilly, too, but parkerized.
I can testify that your nitre bluing link is a good one. The Remington bayonet is mine. Great work, very reasonable price.

Les Jones said...

Sounds like fun. Is it in Chattanooga every year?

Anonymous said...

There's an older guy here in VA who sets up at smaller shows here. He has the best collection of OLD Colt cap and ball and blackpowder Colts that I have seen outside the Cody Museum. Probably 25-30 pistols including engraved Navy and Army models. And a couple of Dragoons. Slobber, drool...