Tuesday, August 21, 2007

If I had to guess, I'd say it's August.

I was over at Gunsmith Bob's tonight, watching the Braves prove that they need at least one more good starter. Despite being staked to a three-run lead in the first, the wheels came off JoJo Reyes in the third inning, and the Braves wound up losing 8-7. I left to drive home at quarter after ten, and the thermometer in the Zed Three still read 85 degrees. I'm good and ready for a day with a high in the eighties, thankyouverymuch.

Wending my way through the woods out on the peninsula on the way home, the high beams caught a glint of yellow in the underbrush on the right side of the road. I slowed the car to a crawl and was rewarded with a brief staring contest with a fair-to-middlin' size whitetail buck. Nice antlers. After a couple seconds, he decided that my hrududu was a bit too close and bounded into the woods in two truly amazing leaps.

And now to bed with a book (Our Kind, by Marvin Harris), now that the A/C is catching up after the heat of the day...

8 comments:

freddyboomboom said...

The high today was 78...

It's supposed to be 85 on Friday, though...

LawDog said...

Watership Down quotes!

Ambulance Driver said...

Silflay hraka, LawDog.

You beat me to it!

Jay G said...

We hit a high of 67º here in the Sheeple's Republik of MA today.

Started the day off below 50º. Could see my breath when I went out for my morning run.

Wanna trade?

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Watership Down mention.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Anonymous said...

"Our Kind"? Good choice- I love Harris's stuff. Reminds me I need to order that used copy of "Good to Eat".

Anonymous said...

They talk that strange in La Pine?

Must be the fumes from the tire plant.

Cryhavoc said...

I am so ready for the hunting season. Everytime I drive to work I see deer on the side of the road and it makes me go nuts!

Hunting Forums