Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Boomsticks: Gratuitous Gun Pr0n #46


The Frommer Stop is a long-recoil operated pistol. The tube over the barrel contains two recoil springs; one for the barrel and one for the bolt. The bolt and barrel travel rearward locked together, at which point the barrel is freed to return forwards. The extractor holds the spent shell against the breechface as the barrel springs forward and as soon as the spent shell is free of the chamber, the ejector kicks it out. Then the bolt travels forward, stripping a fresh cartridge from the magazine.

The operating principle seems so normal in a Browning shotgun, but to see it in a little .32 pistol is superweird.

(PS: If anybody wants to add this photo to the currently unillustrated Wikipedia entry, you have my express permission, as long as credit/linkage/attribution is given.)

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tamara,

Someone placed the image in the Wikipedia entry, but you'll need to do something or it will be auto-deleted.

Click here and read what they say.

Tam said...

I am not grokking this...

Anonymous said...

Hard for me to tell you now. It looks like you may have followed their instructions, so the old message is gone.

Tam said...

I deleted something and copied and pasted something.

All I wanted to do was to let folks see what the fershlugginer gun looked like. :(

Anonymous said...

Okay. If I'm reading it correctly you told Wikipedia that you are releasing the image under the Creative Commons License..

Tam said...

Groovy.

I think that's what I was trying to do.

Matt G said...

Good one to add a pic of, Tamara. I personally didn't know this one, and it looks amazingly like a .22 air pistol.

Nice of you to release your picture of a representative specimen to the public domain, in a nice rendition of "Automatics For The People." (Oh, like you didn't write that slogan for CCA, anyway.)

Tam said...

Yes, yes I did. :)

Anonymous said...

I had the same air pistol thought, specifically a Webley.

More generally, I'm thinking that for the weight and size one could carry more firepower in a conventional action, or one could conceal a conventional .32.

Dr. StrangeGun said...

Triticale,

Get your head out of the present, dude! :-p

That *was* a "conventional .32" when it was built...

Tam said...

Now they're bitching about the penny at Wikipedia.

I'm tempted to tell whoever whined to go post a picture of his own damn Frommer Stop.

Dr. StrangeGun said...

I don't see "bitching" about the penny, just a little infobox that tells all the furriners how big a U.S. penny is and asking please to not be using them in the future.

Anonymous said...

that's a penny? i thought for sure it'd have to be a quarter; darn pistol's smaller than i thought it possibly could be!