Friday, August 24, 2007

Boomsticks: A Chore.

In the museum is a Mauser Kar. 71, made by C.G. Haenel & Sohn in Suhl, Germany back in 1877. The guy from whom I purchased it said his great-grandpa brought it back as spoils of war after the first Great Unpleasantness. It's in the same sporter stock it was in back in 1919, as is evidenced by the wood shrinking away from the metal fittings.

Today, I believe I'll take a toothbrush and some Hoppes #9 and attempt to scrub away almost 90 years of dried varnish left behind by 3-in-1 oil and WD-40.

Maybe I'll take some before & after pics...

9 comments:

Carteach said...

So....

What is this mood you are in today?

Anonymous said...

Egads! Don't! It'll destroy any historic value. Don't ask me why.

Doug said...

Ah, the fine aroma of Hoppes as it cuts through the crud! Best wishes, Tam.

I haven't tuned into your bog for quite some time. I'll do better. I'm happy to see you're working on a book. Your writing and research is top notch.

Anonymous said...

A product called "Whiting" mixed with trichloroethane is just the ticket for removing oil from stocks. It's available from Brownells. I've used it many times when refinishing stocks. And it helps in removing the oil from the stock if it's warm.

Anonymous said...

Whiting and solvent are good if you want to totally refinish the wood, but I don't think that's what Tam has in mind.

I use a bucket of straight mineral spirits to clean metalwork. Cosmoline and dirt just melt right off. Oil immediately afterwards because the metal comes out bone-dry.

On stocks, you can CAREFULLY use mineral spirits on a barely-damp paper towel to get surface crud off. Get too aggressive and you start taking off the original finish.

Anonymous said...

Now that is a gorgeous little rifle. Simple, tasty, has the feel of cool misty mornings on a boar hunt, or any other type of euro-game. NICE RIFLE
Thad

Paul said...

Looks like you're about to get some rain.

Lucky you.

I had to rake my leaves today. Not because Fall is here, but because my tree hasn't had water in over a month.

FHB said...

Please do. Love those old dudes.

Tam said...

Oh, mine's not as pretty as the one at the link; mine's just the straight military carbine barreled action dropped into a clean-lined sporter stock.

Never fear, it'll get a full Volking before too long.