Sunday, August 19, 2007

Boomsticks: Been around the world.

Among my acquisitions yesterday was a Mosin Nagant M1891 infantry rifle. It had been made on contract for the Czar's armies in New England Westinghouse's plant in Chicopee Falls, MA back during World War One. At some point, it fell into the hands of the Finns, who re-stocked it and added their own "SA" stamp in the metal. Most recently, it was sold off as surplus and reimported into the US through St. Albans, VT, where yet another stamp was added.

Ninety-two years and a lot of miles later, it's come to rest in my hands. Oh, if only it could talk...

6 comments:

Carteach said...

My 91/30 Tula ex-sniper is one of my favorite rifles to shoot. In a match or just for fun....

I was at a military rifle pin shooting match one day, and was using my Grand Old Turk 8mm to bowl over the pins. (took #2 in the match, behind some speed demon with a K-31).

A side match involved shooting an EGG swinging from a string at 30 yards.

For that, I leaned on my Mosin. Nailed it on the first shot, first try, first person to shoot the event. Made it look easy.....

I think the 91/30 scared the egg and the muzzle blast blew it apart.

Anonymous said...

Oooh! Gotta love them '91's.

My russian lady was made at the Imperial Tula Ordnance Factory in 1893. It's a good looking long legged beauty that I was able to pick up for only $50 a couple of years ago. Reading your blog entry made me get it out and play with it. Now I've got Ballistol all over my hands.

Of course, that's not a bad thing ;-)

Tokarev

7.62x54r said...

I'd say that's a trade up from an AR, regardless of the caliber. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the twin of one of my mosins... It's easily my favorite Mosin.

Hobie said...

I just got an 1891 myself. Very interesting.

7.62x54r said...

hobie, I couldn't figure out how to reply to your blog, but that M91 is most certainly a Spanish Civil War veteran if it has "MADE IN USSR" stamped on it. They also used the bent wire swivels. The M91s from Spain are much less common than the M91/30s and quite a find. Cubrock's a great guy, I've bought a couple of rifles from him myself.

Sorry about hijacking your comments on this Tam.