Monday, August 27, 2007

How friggin' embarrassing...

I'm trying to check my Frommer Stop to see if it's delivering a good lick to the firing pin.

The problem? It's a .32, so the old trick of dropping a pencil or ballpoint pen down the tube won't work, and I have not found a single piece of dowel or anything else to use for a substitute.

I'm probably going to wind up doing something insanely elaborate, like priming a case, (only I just realized I don't have a shell holder...) or trimming down a piece of plastic sprue to fit.

Or maybe I'll try and make Instant Gratification Tam act like Patient Mature Tam and wait 'til backyard shooting hours tomorrow and then I can just step outside and bust a cap in the yard...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't have any 1/4" or 5/16" dowel????????

Eilthireach said...

I usually just take a spent case, put a piece of tape over it, covering the original dent in the spent primer, and see if the firing pin perforates the tape...I've also used a piece of sticky label, and the firing pin usually cuts a neat hole in the paper if it's nice and strong...that's if you have a spent case laying around.

Sigivald said...

If you have a live round, you could just pull the bullet and pour out the powder...

Sevesteen said...

Tam--Do you have a picture of your Frommer Stop you'd be willing to donate to Wikipedia?

Carteach said...

Humph.....

I wanted to do the pencil trick with my Smith M+P (new model).

No pencils.

I figured I would try a pen. It just jiggled a bit when I let the striker fly. I figured the pen wasn't seated all the way down the barrel, so I took the cap off and tried again.

Now I have pen sized hole in my bedroom ceiling.

Wait till tomorrow Tammy.....

Anonymous said...

CNN has video of a Zombie outbreak in London! Break out your best zombie zapper!

Cybrludite said...

If you've got one of the "clicky" type pens like the drug company reps hand out, you can pull the ink tube out & use it. Works just fine with my CZ-52. Just make sure you aren't standing under a running ceiling fan when you do it...

Weer'd Beard said...

What am I missing here? I did the pencil test on my CZ-52 to make sure the decocker did just that, and the firing pin was in good order. Both worked like a charm with a standard #2 yellow pencil.

What am I missing? the bore of the '52 is .308, isn't the Bore of your Stop .311?

Honestly if all the parts and the action seem in good working order, a .32 ACP sure won't blow up the gun.

Make a hole or two!

Unknown said...

"Backyard shooting hours?" Do you also charge yourself admission? (snerk)