Wednesday, August 29, 2007

You know you're a pathetic gun geek when...

Lots of people have little wish lists of stuff they're looking for for their guns. A scope for a Marlin .30-30. Some nice grips for their Ruger Blackhawk. Night sights for their Glock. An M1 Carbine bayonet. I envy them. They will probably find happiness.

Me? I'm stuck wandering gun shows looking for the following:

1) Un-bubba'ed military stocks with the proper barrel bands for: A Ross Mk.II, a Berthier Mle.1907/15 M16, and a Mauser Karabiner 71.

2) The extractor for a Frommer Stop.

3) Extra magazines for a Radom, a Frommer, and a Webley auto.

4) A bayonet for a Portuguese Mauser Vergueiro.

5) Correct grips for a Polish M48 Tokarev (no goofy thumbrest.)

6) A titanium firing pin for a MAS 49/56 that doesn't cost the moon.


Google is frequently no help. I have guns obscure enough that when I Google them, my own blog is the first thing that comes up. So I'm doomed to trudge the gun show aisles...


*Sigh.* Diogenes had it easier than this. Maybe I need a lamp?

14 comments:

Dr. StrangeGun said...

"6) A titanium firing pin for a MAS 49/56 that doesn't cost the moon."

*ponder*

I wonder if the shop could do that...

Tam said...

The gunsmith thinks the existing one could probably be lightened up.

Matt G said...

"*Sigh.* Diogenes had it easier than this. Maybe I need a lamp?"

I sometimes find myself doing the Diogenes thing, for real; it's depressing.

There really are days when I think that I've a better chance of finding items 1-3 on the same table than that I'll run into as many honest men in a day.

Buffboy said...

While you're at it could you ad an ejector for a Dutch Model 1871/88 Beaumont-Vitali? Please? I've been trying to find one for 2 years and the shows don't even start around here till October. I even bid up to $65 for a complete bolt on ebay before the hammer fell on that kind of stuff.

Anonymous said...

Rime of the Ancient Cruffler:

He collecteth best, who knoweth best

Ringed Mausers, large and small;

For Numrich, who loveth us,

Hath parts for one and all.

Anonymous said...

Yep. An extractor for my Spanish Mauser is just waiting until I am not as Numpoor.

NotClauswitz said...

I'm sure you already have a bore-light, so maybe one of those clip-on baseball-cap lights? ;-)
Or a super-ultra-xenon-12bazillion-lumen forearm light?

Anonymous said...

At least you live indoors (such as it is) and bathe more frequently than Diogenes did.

Regards,
Rabbit.

Jay G said...

Try finding a spare magazine for a VEPR in .308.

I feel your pain...

Anonymous said...

Tam, have you tried Wisners for the Frommer? They don't list it as such, but the original owner(now retired, his son now runs the business) Now occasionally makes one of a kind parts. He generally want's the broken part if possible.

You might want to contact him - be warned, it's not going to be cheap.

Anonymous said...

I need a spare bolt for a Norweigen Krag. It's for a buddy, but I've been looking for years and no joy.

Numerich doesn't have one. They advertised one once, but it sold before I called.

Keep your eyes out, OK?

Anonymous said...

Lamp?

Harp.

Queue Mozart Opera:
"J'ai perdue mon Eurydice..."

Anonymous said...

I don't know if they have any in stock, but Sarco lists mags for both the frommer stop and the radom.

http://www.sarcoinc.com/mags.html

J.R.Shirley said...

"A Webley auto?!" Don't you mean a Webley-Vickers 50.80?