Monday, May 26, 2008

The primordial jungle.

Spent another interminable period digging sprouted maple spinners out of the garden. Some especially devious ones had attempted to sprout right in the middle of some of the chives and the dill. Lordy, I cannot get over the success rate of these things; it seems a random maple helicopter that lands in the yard has a better chance of sprouting than seeds I carefully plant and nurture.

Things I Have Learned: Keep an eye on the soil over the garlic & scallions and make sure it stays good and broken up and doesn't set into concrete after the rains. The middle garlic plant and some of the scallions that have finally sprouted look like they were mulched with cinderblocks.

The carrots have sprouted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The garlic and scallions will be fine. Trust me.

Anonymous said...

My neighbor has an ancient maple tree. As of Saturday, spinner count in my yard = zero. Sunday, I go in the walk-in attic and hear tapping on the roof, and think "It can't be raining - it's bright out." It wasn't rain - it was spinners. Sunday afternoon spinner count = 5 x 10^8.

Johnny said...

I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dr. StrangeGun said...

If maple trees were 100% edible, we'd never starve again.