Sunday, October 12, 2008

In what has rapidly become a weekend tradition...

...I'm sporting a blister on my trigger finger from several hundred rounds of double-action revolver work. Soon the callous there will return.

I shot a little over 100 rounds of .22LR through my Model 34, and put probably 200 rounds or more of .38 Spl downrange. Some of it was shot through my Model 64 snubbie, but the vast majority was fired through what is probably going to be my new pin gun: my pre-war 5" .38/44 Heavy Duty. I replaced the target stocks in the picture with linen micarta smooth combat stocks and a Tyler T-grip. Most of the ammo run through the gun was from the case of Federal 147gr +P+ Hydrashoks I have left sitting around, to see how it would handle and shoot with the kind of loads required for clearing a bowling pin off the table with anything like alacrity. I was pleased.

We met Brigid at the range, and she joined my friend and I for lunch at Rick's, and put pictures of the foray up at her blog. From there, my friend and I went off on a gun store crawl before returning to Broad Ripple for dinner at Sam's Gyros, and then to the theatre to see the new Ridley Scott flick, Body Of Lies, which is teh awesome. (When did Leonardo DiCaprio stop looking like Doogie Howser? He was all growed up and stuff in this movie, and very believable. BTW, am I the only one who thinks that if Caleb rocked a goatee there would be more than a slight resemblance?)

5 comments:

Carteach said...

Brigid mentioned shooting the old wheelie. Ya'll have excellent taste! Bet that .38/44 is smooth as glass. Be fun to watch you clean the table at the pin matches.

Sounds like all the kewl kids had a heck of a day..... nice!

Me, I filed the edges off a Bo-Mar sight so I can carry the pistol without getting gouged....

Oh... nothing in the way of .32 long dies, sorry. Must have sold them. As I run across the cases, bullets, etc. I'll bag them for you. Why can't you need something I have lots of, like 30-06 or .308 cases? (g)

Home on the Range said...

Caleb. . Goatee. . oh yes he would. . you know if we ask, he'll have time to grow it before our next get together.

Anonymous said...

I was very impressed by Leo's work in BLOOD DIAMOND. It's a great film if you haven't already seen it. I rented it after reading LD's review.

Somerled said...

Some of the outside edges of casehardened S&W, serrated, .265" triggers are sharp! Fortunately, the one on my Model 10 snub is just right. I've gotten so I like them better than the .312" smooth. I wish it was a bit more narrow.

Five-inch Ns balance perfectly. You're going to fare well in pin shooting if your eyes can pick up the half-moon front sight.

Somerled said...

Ah, your HD was hotrodded by Mr. Clark, Sr. You'll see the front sight fine. Exotic!