Friday, October 17, 2008

...now this is a knife.

Oleg has a pic up of some new knives from McCann Industries.

My go-to knife for the past six years has been a McCann Puffin Magnum, which is big enough to handle most chores without being too huge to keep on a belt with ease. Incidentally, mine is the very one Kim Breed tried to destroy in his review for Blade magazine, though you could never tell just by looking at it. O1 tool steel and tough as armor-plated nails...

(That deep belly on the blade will cut holy hell out of your finger, too, if you are grasping the kydex sheath like an idjit while drawing the knife. Ask me how I know. Also, super glue is good for closing cuts when you're many, many dirt-road miles away from civilization. Also, have an ER nurse in deer camp.)

12 comments:

Matt G said...

I only saw the aftermath of that-- you had put up the Puffin and gotten out the Sebenza by the time I got there. While you were slicing up tender cuts of TK, I was exploring the finer parts of West Monroe, LA, on the Sojourn From Hell to that same deer camp, while a kindly-but-sloth-like mechanic rebuilt our transmission. ;)

Tam said...

The Puffin and I weren't speaking to each other at that point. ;)

J.R.Shirley said...

Shoulda used a kukuri...

;-)

Least ya had good company, right?

John A said...

An aside:

"super glue is good for closing cuts"

I should be: it was originally developed for use in surgery.

Tam said...

"Least ya had good company, right?"

I can't think of a finer bunch of folks to be around when cutting holy hell out of my finger. :D

Sigh. Good times, good times!

Anonymous said...

Different species, but a friend recently presented me with one of these, from SureFire. I'm not a real mad knife guy, but blades are not strange to me and I'm pretty impressed so far.

Tam said...

I haven't had the chance to fiddle with one yet, but from all reports, Surefire's knives are hella stout.

JPG said...

By the time Matt and I DID arrive at camp, my credit card had taken such a beating that I couldn’t even make you a decent offer for that knife. I’ve wondered if you might not have entertained a low-ball-but-decent-offer for your deep dish manicure implement.

Heh. This reply string is almost like a reunion. We need to do it again sometime.
JPG

Anonymous said...

Hope it wasn't the trigger finger.

Firehand said...

Ah, O1, one of my favorite blade steels. Not stainless, but very much makes up for that with toughness and edge-holding ability.

Anonymous said...

John, Cyanoacrylates were not invented for surgery - they were a failed attempt at making optically clear plastic for gun sights. It was discovered by Dr. Harry Coover at Kodak Research laboratories. in 1942.

Warrior Pilgrimage said...

A lot of people grasp the sheath the wrong way including that YouTube video of the Puffin Magnum. Good thing you noticed. Cheers! From the Philippine Islands!