Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Mother Nature tried to kill my 'maters.

We got a spot of weather here in scenic Broad Ripple yesterday; hail the size of buckshot coming down in gutter-clogging sheets.

Three of my tomato plants have snapped stems and the hostas in the front yard look like they've been peppered with a shotgun.

It was pretty cool to sit under the porch roof and watch, though. If you can't do anything about the weather, you might as well at least enjoy the show.

Of course, what is a minor annoyance to me and my tomato plants can be a disaster for others.

6 comments:

og said...

Yeah, that will piss you clean off.

Still time to replace the plants, though; you can get a plant that's about ten weeks along out of a nursery and it will catch up. Sucks to have the foresight to buy them cheap and small and now have to buy the big plants like the late-season slackers.

Woke up yesterday to the sound of low rolling thunder out the bedroom window, and found it difficult to believe I needed to get out of bed. I do enjoy a nice thunderstorm.

gruvinbass said...

I feel your pain, I had to cover mine up overnight Sunday night for fear of frost.

Joanna said...

I was all set to leave my potted garden out on the balcony until the first gust of wind came through. I spent the next 15 minutes running in and out of the storm, getting seriously wet and trying not to spill potting mud on the carpet. (I was almost successful.) Those tomatoes are getting caged ASAP.

In related news, as soon as I start harvesting you're all invited over for lasagna with tomato sauce and fresh basil.

Tam said...

I was surprised at how well my delphiniums held up, tall and spindly as they are. The taller stalk had a few flowers knocked off, but otherwise they appear to be okay.

Anonymous said...

Got 8 nice sized tomato plants the other day from one of the local Amish greenhouses over by Bremen for just under $2.50. They have a good selection of heirloom varieties. The storms came through but we did okay.
Rey B

NotClauswitz said...

That's funny, we got weather here too. It damn-all RAINED for an hour Monday night - in June?? Unheard of.