Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Another word stolen...

The word "denier", coined just last week, has been boosted by the same shoplifters that purloined "fascist".

Atom Smasher, of the blog "Men Are Not Potatoes", responds:
I've committed treason against the planet, because I'm one o' them there "deniers". Now, I'd love to sit down with Paul (may I call him Paul?), hand him a fine beverage and a cigar, and explore the concept of applying the label "denial" to the process of simply not acknowledging things that aren't there. For instance am I a 'Salma Hayek in my bedroom' denier because there's no evidence that Ms. Hayek's ever been in there before and so I'm quite comfortable with assuming she's still not?
I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

7 comments:

Michael said...

I like his "I see your opinion and raise you some real science" attitude. Thanks for adding another blog to my daily list Tam.

Retardo said...

Fine, but if he starts denying the existence of Salma Hayek in my bedroom, we've got a problem.

NotClauswitz said...

Good response, but way over their heads. The true-believers are down below the lilly-pads, sucking up the algae.

Joanna said...

Obama's presidency (oooh ... cold shudder) used to be "These aren't the droids you're looking for." Now it's "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Frank W. James said...

I always thought "denier" was used to connotate a grade of synthetic fabric?

Oh well, maybe it applies here as well.

All The Best,
Frank W. James

staghounds said...

The warmers aren't the first. As I'm sure Tam knows, Charlemagne stole it from the Latin for the name of the Frankish penny.

My father gave me one as a child.

The English only stole the d.

B Smith said...

Salma Hayek isn't in my bedroom either. But I have HOPE that that will CHANGE...