Saturday, June 13, 2009

Overheard in the bookstore...

In something rapidly approaching tradition, on my visits to Knoxville I meet my friend Staghounds for lunch at Calhoun's and a trip to McKay's used book store.

McKay's is pretty coherently laid out, and we were over in what would have been the 300's had they actually been using the Dewey Decimal System, pointing out interesting books to each other (going to a used book store with another avid reader of similar tastes is the best way to find new stuff) when I hear him say "'Selling Women Short'? I didn't know that women were traded on the futures market..." which caused a fit of giggling that took a few minutes to bring under control.

I found some interesting books, but McKay's is big enough that I'll be able to make another stop there with Gunsmith Bob before I head back north of the Ohio. I've never been in that place when it wasn't jumping and the parking lot wasn't packed like they were giving dollar bills away inside. I've never left without spending at least $20, and the average is closer to $50. When Peter of Bayou Renaissance Man fame would visit, he'd usually earmark at least a C-note specifically for an afternoon-long visit to McKay's and head back to Louisiana with a couple boxes full of books. Whatever their business model, they need to license it to a store in Indy...

9 comments:

Roberta X said...

Amen!

Unknown said...

I'm based in Chattanooga and I love McKays, we have one as well.

Mark Alger said...

Any different to Half Priced Books? Or one of those original/pale imitation things?

M

Chance said...

Did you get the book I sent you?

Anonymous said...

The jokes just write themselves once you have the twist in mind if you pick up a Barron's or WSJ.

Sort of like this, another new definition you won't get out of your head.

Anonymous said...

And, CALEB, I'm close to Chatt. & go to McKay's too often. Shoot me a mail, we'll have lunch. 76406 at bellsouth dot net.

Ed Foster said...

Sounds like a variant of the Strand bookstore in Greenwich Village, one of the only half dozen or so remaining reasons I still visit Sodom On The Hudson 3 or 4 times a year.

Eighteen miles of book shelves, poorly and loosely clumped into very broad categories and discounted massively.

After browsing the stacks for several hours and digging up 5 or 6treasures, I enjoy the look of horror on the faces of the checkout gnomes as they bag my trophies.

Picture the usual massively pierced and tatted artiste working the counter at Starbucks. Add just enough gray matter to read a subway map and fall in love with President B.O.

Now imagine their consternation (if not outright constipation) when your's truly shows up at the register with several Gun Digests, Galloway on crossbows, plus That Every Man Be Armed and Target Switzerland by Halbrook .
Parenthetically, why on earth hasn't the NRA made a documentary based on that brilliant bit of work Halbrook did on the Swiss? Talk about a book that can rock your world.

Anyway, watching the Dweebs get the flutters by itself justifies the expenditure of gasoline and patience needed to get there, and a quick visit to any Irish pub frequented by the local cops restores the needed levels of testosterone.

Also it's precursor cholesterol. There's something about a one pound sandwich of good steak, or maybe a half and half mixture of pastrami and corned beef, washed down in good company with a few Guinesses....

staghounds said...

M'Kay's isn't at ALL like the Strand. The public brings the inventory.

And Argosy is great, too. I miss the City...

the pawnbroker said...

and yet, the best used book deals are still back "home" in hoosierville...

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/31368875?gt1=43001

jtc