Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Quote of the Day:

Hecate reviews Meditations on Violence: A Comparison of Martial Arts Training & Real World Violence, and offers her thoughts on the victim mentality versus the survivor mentality:
The urge to stay a victim is seductive. Our society favors victims, cosseting them and setting up well-funded groups to be their advocates. These groups depend on a steady supply of victims for their existence. Government and law enforcement officials also depend on a steady supply of victims to justify expanding their power and control over every aspect of subjects' citizens' lives.
Her comments on "stuck victims" are are interesting, too.

4 comments:

BryanP said...

Good review. I've got that sitting in the ever-growing "to be read" pile. I may have to move it higher in the pile.

Joseph said...

I didn't get as much out of the book as she did, I'm glad for her, but it just wasn't news to me I guess.

Joanna said...

The "stuck victim" thing reminds me of my dad and his parents - he was disabled in a car accident as a teen, and they literally thought his life was over. He's been struggling with it ever since.

Aaron said...

Rory also has a website, where he puts up his thoughts on a fairly consistent basis.

Rory's good people.

http://www.chirontraining.blogspot.com/