Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Breda meets the Garand.

My first thought when I looked at the picture was "Someone's been to an Appleseed."

For the uninitiated, she's not kidding about the weight, either. A Garand weighs roughly 10 pounds all-up; when I think back to how whupped I was after my Appleseed, I'm glad I brought the AR carbine and not the Garand like I was originally planning to do. A whole day spent trying to keep from sliding down a hillside while holding half again as much rifle would have flat killt me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you considered yoga?

BTW, FedEx just delivered the correct front sight from Smith Enterprises to my office!

Doh!

Shootin' Buddy

Anonymous said...

My wife's father had an M1 Garand in boot camp. It weighs 9.5 pounds. He said that about five miles into a training hike, the decimal point would get lost and suddenly he was toting a 95 lb rifle.

Hank

Bram said...

I'd feel sorry for him if I didn't do the same stuff carrying a 7 pound rifle and wearing 30 pounds of body armor.

Stingray said...

And to make things worse, I've got a couple lead bars in the ass-end of that thing to help soak up the punch from the '06 round. Our Tiniest Sniper did pretty damn well no matter how you slice it.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

THAT's what it is! Proper form absorbed from Appleseed.

Mad Saint Jack said...

Q: Making an improvised rest is not appleseed approved?

Anonymous said...

Aw, Tam, that's just because you're gettin' old and decrepit.

I know all about O&D.

As a young, healthy fella, I wandered all over these Terlingua mountains with 9.5 pounds of rifle. But around the time of the Big Six Oh, the fun was sorta over and done with.

There's a reason God invented the 700Ti.

Art

Will said...

The weekly flier from Big 5 Sporting Goods has the M1 Garand @ $599.00 Friday 5:30am to 3:00pm Nov 27. Goes to $699 later.