Monday, February 18, 2008

Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?Arewethereyet?

First, mad props to Gunsmith Bob, Dr. Strangegun, pward, RobertaX, and Les Jones, without whom all my stuff would still be in my old crib.

Additional repeat mad props to RobertaX, without whose mad 1337 skillz I'd still be sitting in the passenger seat of a big ol' U-Haul in Knoxville, staring out the windshield and wondering why it wasn't moving.

We hit Indy at 0mygawd30 Monday AM, thanks to a late start and vile-tempered weather gods. That, and the fact that a 17 foot truck burdened with a few tons of books and BMW gets passed on uphill grades by Yugos running on three cylinders, overweight children on Big Wheels, and Stephen Hawking.

Got the expensive and/or weather-sensitive stuff off-loaded, and it looks like my tomorrow will be spent schlepping a hojillion tons of books. With any luck VFTP Command Central and its associated wireless router will be up and running by tomorrow afternoon, but I'm bracing myself for disappointment.

The only downside of the trip so far is that Rannie the Borderline Psychotic Calico seems to be not so borderline anymore. Among the things I seem to have forgotten to pack is her sanity. Right now she's yowling at Mittens, hissing and spitting at me when I walk past, and trying to pick a fight with the couch she's hiding under. If any of y'all back in Tennessee find her marbles, get in touch with me and I'll give you an address to which they can be FedExed.

Re: The Sunday Smith. I thoughtfully took pictures of the remaining Smiths on the Official Railing, but those pics are in the camera. Which is in a box. Somewhere in the house. It will maybe be next Sunday... Sorry!

22 comments:

Tango Juliet said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
breda said...

Yay! You made it! Congrats!

(& dig the catnip out of the box and dose the poor cat, will ya?)

JD said...

congrats on surviving the move. . . .I second the thought of catnip since they don't make mouse flavored Valium that I know of. . . .

Anonymous said...

Glad ya made the move okay; don't envy you the task of haulin' all those books.

Random Numbers doesn't sound any more neurotic/psychotic than is normal for a cat undergoing a move; all she wants is for Mama to put everything back like it was.

Yes, that includes the lake.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely, Tam.

Anonymous said...

I concur with that other Ben. Glad you got there in one piece and with all your goods in tow. Relax, have a tasty beverage, and get to the rest of that delightful unpacking tomorrow.

(By the way, Lisa is originally from Ft Wayne and although it's been a few years, we have made the trek from Charlotte before. Not that Ft Wayne and Indy are right next door, but maybe I'll get to see you again one of these days anyway. You never know.)

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it safely, Tam!! I hope the remainder of your move is back-trouble free!!

Anonymous said...

Nothing blows me away more than the knowledge that you have a cat named Mittens. Is there a Fluffy you haven't mentioned?

Also, although if I had to choose at gunpoint between cats and dogs I would choose cats, cats are insane. As an animal whose adjustment to living in large social groups has been extremely recent, it takes very little in the way of stress or confusion to send them off their rockers. Large sections of their emotional range and responses, to put it in a technical metaphor, have never really gotten out of beta.

Confining her to a single room, with all cat-related stuff, should help, if you can manage this. Getting used to just ONE section of new territory first- and being insulated from the non-routine chaos of unpacking and rearranging and oh my god the new person- will help her.

phlegmfatale said...

I suspect the cats secretly love having issues over which to punish their owners, so you're giving them just what they want. Plus when you get your stuff unpaced and your new attic is redolent of the books you know and love, they'll feel more at home.

Well done. I'm glad you had an uneventful (if exhausting) trip.

word verification?
doodldo

I like that one.

phlegmfatale said...

er, unpacked. Not unpaced.
*sheesh*
someday I'll start proofreading what I right.

Cybrludite said...

Congrats and glad to hear the move went safely!

Rob K said...

Yay! You're a Hoosier now!

Cats don't like it much when their staff changes things... they'll get over it once they get the the full joy of being Hoosiers.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the move, Time to get a lifetime CCW!

Turk Turon said...

Sounds like quite an ordeal. Glad you made it OK.

Word verification: ktfny (cat-funny)

fastbike said...

Glad you made it. You have my sympathies. I moved to Texas in November and I'm still looking for my spotting scope.

red said...

Welcome to Indy, you're just in time for more snow and cold weather!

The Duck said...

Glad that it went at least fairly smoothly

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you made it!

Methinks your fascination with snow will be short-lived.......

....."and to my cat Mittens, I leave ........"

Mark said...

"Down Safe" is a goooood feeling.

Best of luck with Random Numbers. Most cats like having a routine (duh, Master of the Obvious strikes again!), but hopefully it'll smooth out for the kitty.

Adrian K said...

Strangely, I think I'm going to miss that railing.

Good to see that you're safely esconsed in Indianapolis.

Billy Hollis said...

"Large sections of their emotional range and responses, to put it in a technical metaphor, have never really gotten out of beta."

I've never been sure if we're beta testing them or they're beta testing us.

Tam, I hope Indy treats you well. I can understand leaving Knoxville, though overall Tennessee is pretty nice and I kind of wish you had tried Nashville or Chattanooga. Maybe sometime in the future.

Anonymous said...

Hmmm ... more questions/comments about the cat than about Tam.

Sounds like bloggers ...